The best Bike frame to use for cafe racer,
Close

This is a discussion on The best Bike frame to use for cafe racer, within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello everyone, i am Rene and im new to the forum as well as building motorcycles. i wish to begin my adventure as soon as ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hello everyone,

i am Rene and im new to the forum as well as building motorcycles. i wish to begin my adventure as soon as possible but would like to know what r the best models, and makes to begin with? i of course would like to save money as well as have something that is a good platform for making these style of bikes. I am going for a very vintage style.... alot like the ones put out by dues ex Motorcycles | Deus America ... simple but lovley i don't expext to go more than 75 mph but i would love a beautiful bike like theese so if you guys could piont me in the right direction i would be very thankful.

rene gomez,

Kawasaki H1, no argument.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Raleigh Runabout
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Tohatsu Runpet or Marusho Lilac.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Dues could possibly be the worst inspiration.
    What "best" have they ever thought about with the shit they "build"?

well unless you are like every other late to the game, bandwagon jumping, hipster fuck that wants the ultimate expression of being....

Why not search a bit? Some members here had so,e really great ideas in a thread all about your stupid question.
    Also since google clearly worked, please stop by our supporting members section and check out all the neat shit they sell.
    More adds you click the better.

And I was doing so well with my new leaf....
    Really it's because I haven't been drinking enough....
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Deus bikes aren't badly built - they're just expensive for what they are. But that's what you have to pay if you're getting someone else to build a custom bike - those guys don't work for free.

Wrenchmonkees on the other hand build some really stupid stuff - borderline dangerous at times.

Best frame? That's really subjective, but I'd recommend an SR500 as a(relatively) cheap base.

But you're gonna "prove me wrong" and start with a non running Hawk, aren't you??

I like this frame. stick a headlight on it and your good to go COMPLETE LIST OF COMPONENTS TO BUILD A SEELEY TR500 CLICK TO VIEW . Attachment 2634
    I like my shocks like I like my women. Cheap and Chinese.

While the Marusho Lilac would be an interesting bike to work with, I will give you a straight answer.

The best afordable cafe racer platform is a Honda CB350. Cafe parts galore are made for it, you can get bolt on rearsets, a cb500T 35mm front end and CB77 Wheel are both easy to fine and an improvement.

Just do this-- go buy the best running CB350 you can find (plan on spending $900-$2000). Get a copy of Cafe Racer Magazine and order catalogs or check out web sites of all the companies advertising in the back of the book. Buy a bunch of stuff that you like--those $850 alloy tanks are really cool, and build your bike and then ride the wheels off it.

I had never looked at that Deus site before. That Super 90 Honda is pretty snappy looking. I like little bikes! If 75 is your target top speed a CB160 might do well for you, but you will spend about the same money for one as you will for a 350.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Deus bikes aren't badly built - they're just expensive for what they are. But that's what you have to pay if you're getting someone else to build a custom bike - those guys don't work for free.

Wrenchmonkees on the other hand build some really stupid stuff - borderline dangerous at times.

Best frame? That's really subjective, but I'd recommend an SR500 as a(relatively) cheap base.

But you're gonna "prove me wrong" and start with a non running Hawk, aren't you??
    1+ on the SR and not just 'cause I have one ...Ideally you need buy a compleat bike, though frames can be found as they are still a dirt track favorite...

its narrow, strong and tall .. (you can also ride it streight up or even tucked in factory with out getting cramped Or lookin like a dork...)
    its based on the earlyer offroad TT frame with reinforcements added by the factory (added gussets and plates) for its use as a road bike..
    If you find one compleat , the bike has an abundance of stock pieces that are sufficent for cafe useage with out draining the bankbook buying better stuff....

Most all of the small parts are still available thru yami or supplyers like kedo which is a plus...
    Yamaha used alot of bits from other heavyer bike's on this that are considered a bit overkill for the 500's basic low HP output..

Next bet IMHO in a Yamaha bike would be in the RD or CT series as the are road bikes that have been proven to cafe well and hold up
    Last edited by Tonnystark; 06-05-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

OK, your profile is almost empty, so we don't know squat about you or what you are capable of in terms of mechanical skills. If you are new to this don't start with a bare frame and don't get caught up in the "that looks cool" scene, if you are going to do something that you think looks cool, get some advice from the 'big boys' on here....nobody really wants an ugly bike, but these machines are all about handling, looks can come later.
    The last three posts are pretty good advice, a running/ roadworthy 350 Honda would get you well within the speed range you are looking at and would be an ideal bike to start with.
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links