Clutch Cable Replacement?
Close

This is a discussion on Clutch Cable Replacement? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 1980 Kawasaki kz750 with a broken clutch cable. I bought a new cable online but am not sure about replacing it. There ...

I have a 1980 Kawasaki kz750 with a broken clutch cable. I bought a new cable online but am not sure about replacing it. There seems to be a metal housing that needs to come off. I've taken off the bolts and it moves around a bit but I still can't pull it off. It might be stuck where the gear shift lever is attached. (I removed the lever.)

Should I try harder to force it off?
    My auto/motorcycle repair skills are minimal but I'm otherwise pretty handy. Is this something I should even try to do myself or should I quit monkeying with it and take it to a mechanic?

Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Dover,NH

Don't worry about it, I'd say give it a shot yourself. Get yourself a manual and dig-in. At least with a manual there aren't (m)any 'what if I...' moments.

Cases and covers are generally tight/ tough to remove, a light blow with a rubber mallet usually does the trick.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

I just replaced my clutch cable, and the sprocket cover that held the clutch cable in place was a pain in butt to get off. I had to use a screwdriver and run it along the seam on top to gently pry it off, after the bolts, and levers were off. It took a little elbow grease, but It came off. at least mine was on there very tight. Being a 72' with only 5K miles on it, well it probably was never off. with the age of the bike, and felt like an aluminum alloy, it was very fragile and brittle. Not sure if all bikes have the same type, but just be careful not to crack it.

just ride it.

Sponsored Links