Blacking out chrome?
Close

Blacking out chrome?

This is a discussion on Blacking out chrome? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I am new to the cafe racer world. I am researching and checking out bikes to get. I am thinking about getting a cl350 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member glassBottleBruised's Avatar

Blacking out chrome?

So I am new to the cafe racer world. I am researching and checking out bikes to get. I am thinking about getting a cl350 as a neat little project. Is it against some unspoken law to black out the chrome?? I personally hate chrome but I also dont want to decimate a solid bike. What do you guys think?

If you hate chrome do what you want with them. Who are you building it for, you or those who want to force their opinion on how you should do your thing. I'm not a big fan of chrome either, there is little if any on my bike and the pipes are neither black or chrome.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

What is the best method for painting over chrome? On my Jawa the chrome is just falling off in big pieces, and I would just as soon paint some of the bits until good replacements, or rechroming funds are available. I really like patina but some things are ridiculous, like this Jawa.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

o1marc you're right I'd be building it for myself. I'm not sure what the best method would be. I've never had a bike that had chrome on it. I'm sure I could figure out a way.

Is it some unspoken rule you must keep chrome? Not really. If you are destroying PERFECT 35-50 year old chrome yeah you are kind of a douche but nothing says you can't find the same part with shitty chrome and paint hat and put it on your bike. The old chrome process is largely gone due to EPA regulation and even new chrome is kind of expensive to get done for small pieces, so perfect old chrome is sought after, if you don't want it someone will pay you for it. Other than that how about you get a facing bike and worry about it then instead of asking navel gazing philosophical question about chrome. Talk about a waste of everyone's time.

why a 350? Couldn't you find a real bike?

jack: if you have big chunks missing I hate to say it but you may be stuck having the chrome stripped, otherwise the broken off edges will show through the paint. You can try to level it off with a grinder but if it is something like your fuel tank, eh.....might just have to suck it up and live with it. You could skim coat it in body filler but if you are going to have it chromed one day that's just more for you to strip later on.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    What is the best method for painting over chrome? On my Jawa the chrome is just falling off in big pieces, and I would just as soon paint some of the bits until good replacements, or rechroming funds are available. I really like patina but some things are ridiculous, like this Jawa.
    If the old chrome is already cracking off sometimes you can get under it with a home sand blaster. If its an expensive part I wouldn't recommend it bc it can be easy to damage the part trying to strip it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Is it some unspoken rule you must keep chrome? Not really. If you are destroying PERFECT 35-50 year old chrome yeah you are kind of a douche but nothing says you can't find the same part with shitty chrome and paint hat and put it on your bike. The old chrome process is largely gone due to EPA regulation and even new chrome is kind of expensive to get done for small pieces, so perfect old chrome is sought after, if you don't want it someone will pay you for it. Other than that how about you get a facing bike and worry about it then instead of asking navel gazing philosophical question about chrome. Talk about a waste of everyone's time.

why a 350? Couldn't you find a real bike?

jack: if you have big chunks missing I hate to say it but you may be stuck having the chrome stripped, otherwise the broken off edges will show through the paint. You can try to level it off with a grinder but if it is something like your fuel tank, eh.....might just have to suck it up and live with it. You could skim coat it in body filler but if you are going to have it chromed one day that's just more for you to strip later on.
    Good point. Except you don't need to be a dick about it.

Quote Originally Posted by glassBottleBruised View Post
    Good point. Except you don't need to be a dick about it.

Going to need a thicker skin than that to be a part of this place. That was mellow.

Yes I was trying to be mellow. I must be used to cbr forum etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by glassBottleBruised View Post
    Yes I was trying to be mellow. I must be used to cbr forum etiquette.
    you'll get used to it. It actually feels nice for ppl to be brutally honest. Stick around lots of good advice mixed with some eye opening truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links