New to Bikes and Cafe Racers
Close

This is a discussion on New to Bikes and Cafe Racers within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Name's Jeremy. I'm completely new to the world of bikes, let alone cafe racers - but I'm anxious to learn. Picked up my first bike ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Name's Jeremy. I'm completely new to the world of bikes, let alone cafe racers - but I'm anxious to learn. Picked up my first bike about a month ago and I'm already anxious to move on to the next one. I picked up a 99' Suzuki GZ250 for cheap to learn the ropes on - I was told it was a good ride to start out on. In retrospect, I wish I would have held out for a standard, since I've got my eye on a Bonneville or Thruxton in the near future.

In just the short while I've been researching and exploring the world of motorcycles, I've found myself drawn to cafe racers. I have no real experience modding a bike at all - don't even really have the proper tools for it yet. But I'm anxious to get started. I've got some time before I'm going to be able to get my next bike - I'm sure I'll be digging through these forums for all the tips I can find.

My first question is this:
    I'm torn between the Bonneville and the Thruxton. I love the cafe racer style of the Thruxton, but I really want a two seater to cart my better half and kids around. So would I be better off picking up a Bonnie and modifying it slightly (bars, rear-pegs, etc) to the cafe look. Or would I be better off picking up a Thruxton and modifying the seat for two?

I've toyed with the idea of just picking up a cheap bike and attempting to rebuild it to my liking, but I think I might hold off on that endeavor until after I have a reliable bike that I've learned the ins and outs of in my garage for daily use.

I'm also open to the notion that I'm thinking about this all wrong. I welcome your input.

Jeremy

Welcome fellow west michigan person. The general sentiment will be to buy a rider. Something you could drive home. Ride it for a year or so while you build up tools and experience. Sounds like you have something you can ride?

Thanks! Yeah, I've been riding the 99' gz250 for about a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jsandison View Post
    but I think I might hold off on that endeavor until after I have a reliable bike that I've learned the ins and outs of in my garage for daily use.
    This is the smartest thing any newbie has ever said. ever.

you do know the tail cowl comes off on a thruxton and there is a seat underneath, right?

don't put your kids on your bike till you have had years of riding experence. not months. years. as in more than two.

I hate that they switched from clipons to clubmans on the thruxton....apparently it wasn't douchebaggy enough so they had to put shitty parts on it. that's all I have to contribute.....if you buy a thruxton buy a used one with clipons on it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I didn't know that about the tail cowl on the Thruxton. That makes the decision a little easier. And I think I prefer the clipons over the clubmans anyway, so even if I bought new, I'd probably switch them out.

And my kids are currently 1 and 2 years old. So I'll have plenty of miles under my belt before they're even close to old enough to hop on the back. Thanks for the caution though. Scary to think what some over-confident idiot could do to his poor kids.

If you are new to motorcycles and don't know much about working on them, a Thruxton is a great choice. Get it and ride the heck out of it.

Well.. I've changed my mind. I've decided I'd rather not drop thousands on a Triumph - even though I know it'd be a great ride.

I've got my eye on a '76 CB550F that's already road-ready. Really love the aesthetic of the bike and the fact that it really doesn't need a ton of modification.

Name:  00P0P_dYcyLVPhFiU_600x450.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  55.3 KB
    Name:  00B0B_1i4ap95AM1i_600x450.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  36.8 KB

The bars are a huge fail, otherwise looks clean. What's the ask?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Agreed on the bars. Seller is including another set of bars (not sure what they are) and another set of side covers and matching gas tank.

He's asking $1,000 for it. Seems reasonable to me.

If it has a title (or some other form of ownership papers - bill of sale does not count) and runs, then it looks like a good deal. Betcha it runs like shit with those pod filters though.

Buy a superbike bar and a stock airbox and you are in business. Spend the next year keeping it on the road.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links