Your Too Black - - Page 2
Close

Your Too Black -

This is a discussion on Your Too Black - within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I see a lot of cop cars painted all black. Think the car driver that nearly ran you over would have told a cop the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Your Too Black -

I see a lot of cop cars painted all black. Think the car driver that nearly ran you over would have told a cop the same thing?

sometimes cops want to be invisible....up until the moment they turn on the disco lights.

they don't make black reflective riding gear - that stuff is usually neon yellow or orange.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I don't seek to wear all black, some of the stuff I have is black. I think that wearing bright colors may be the difference of not getting hit in less than a majority of cases but I concede that even that is better than not wearing bright colors. The thing I have trouble with is that people see themselves as being safe because they look like their about to go hunting or pick up litter. RELYING on that bright color is not safety, I believe it's not safe at all. Safety happens between the ears in cars and bikes. Turning that cautious mindset off because you are wearing bright colors can get you in more trouble than the benifits of being bright. Always drive like you are invisible.

Cool! ---RIP

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There was a proposal about a year ago over here to make it mandatory for motorcyclists to wear high visibility safety colours. It got quashed pretty quickly.

Every where you look nowadays someone is wearing high visiblility clothing. From the postman to the guy mowing the park to emergency services....they're literally everywhere.

I think people are so conditioned to seeing hi viz clothing it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to people on motorcycles - they'd still be "unseen" and hit accordingly.

Texters see nothing!

- - - Updated - - -

Texters see nothing!

advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I would argue that the color of automobile involved in the most/least accidents has as much to do with the personality of the driver as the visibility of the auto. The person that must have a bright red car may also be inclined to drive faster (like a Ferrari?), while the person who settles for a yellow one may be inherently more cautious?
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    I don't seek to wear all black, some of the stuff I have is black. I think that wearing bright colors may be the difference of not getting hit in less than a majority of cases but I concede that even that is better than not wearing bright colors. The thing I have trouble with is that people see themselves as being safe because they look like their about to go hunting or pick up litter. RELYING on that bright color is not safety, I believe it's not safe at all. Safety happens between the ears in cars and bikes. Turning that cautious mindset off because you are wearing bright colors can get you in more trouble than the benifits of being bright. Always drive like you are invisible.

Bright colors are not a substitute for proper training and a safe mindset, but you can't say they aren't an effective aide.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

So how about the "I took my mufflers out so everyone can hear me" argument ?

Maybe checkers aren't such a bad idea after all? At least it breaks up the blackness.

In the interests of full disclosure, I have a black helmet with a big checker stripe running fore-aft, and one of those reflective halos around the bottom rim.
    Dictated but not read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links