Your Too Black - - Page 3
Close

Your Too Black -

This is a discussion on Your Too Black - within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The car I've owned that got hit the most was a BRIGHT yellow 72 beetle. I think that fella just had the same knee-jerk reaction ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Your Too Black -

The car I've owned that got hit the most was a BRIGHT yellow 72 beetle.

I think that fella just had the same knee-jerk reaction we all have when we eff up. Like when you trip over something while you're walking in public and you look back at the floor like it's not up to code or something. No one likes to take the blame. He wasn't looking. Black isn't invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by ffarl View Post

I think that fella just had the same knee-jerk reaction we all have when we eff up. Like when you trip over something while you're walking in public and you look back at the floor like it's not up to code or something. No one likes to take the blame. He wasn't looking. Black isn't invisible.
    Good to read I'm not the only one tripping on a perfectly flat floor
    ed

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    So how about the "I took my mufflers out so everyone can hear me" argument ?
    How many hard of hearing people do you know with licences? More than blind people i bet.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

In case anybody is wondering, it should be you're not your. as in: You're too black.
    WERA689 likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

You are quite correct - I just wrote it like the guy told me...

Geeto - WHAT !!!
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

It's not invisible but it's still a lot harder to see than lighter colors. and while it isn't an excuse i think he's right. I'm aware of motorcyclists on the rode and i still have trouble see ppl sometimes and it's usually when they're wearing black. Wearing bright colors isn't going to guarantee you won't be hit but it definitely could be the thing that makes a difference in certain situations. i know I've had hard time seeing ppl in black while driving my car. especially if you see them against a dark background.

regardless, bright colors are easier to see. it shouldn't be a replacement for being less cautious mentally, but used in conjunction with everything else I would say it's safer than wearing black. especially at night.

motorcycles that have been the easiest to see for me while I'm driving my car all the harleys w/ 3 headlights.

Btw does this thread make anyone else think of this:

ffarl and bfont52 like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.

I had two 'bumps' in my red 1970 beetle (neither my fault)
    The orange one was a bit scary to drive as steering wheel was on the 'wrong' side but people noticed it
    Don't remember having any other accidents in cars
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

So in what way do you fear being hit by a car ? I've always worried about being rear ended while stopped behind a car at a red light. Also when riding I always stay out of car blind spots.
    ed

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Bright colors are not a substitute for proper training and a safe mindset, but you can't say they aren't an effective aide.
    They are an effective aid... as long as you can forget that you are wearing bright colors.

Here's a non motorcycle example from my own experience in Retail. The employees in the happy little shop I work haven't always had name badges, they came into the store and around our necks about 6 years ago. Before that the employee would have to establish themselves as staff by action and service. When we got the double string badges suitible to carry a passport through an airport I noticed that staff became less inclined to engage the customer. The actions (inactions) of the staff made it clear that they felt that the badge was enough to establish that they could help when so desired, so it has become more on the customer to ask for help. (the other thing that would happen is that people would look at me, look at my badge and back at my face, pause, pause, and ask "do you work here? but I digress.) Noticing the shift in the behavior in the store I started looking at other places. Many big box retail has their employees wear vests. Some vests have written on the back "May I Help You?" And from these people I seldom recieve any service, especially in the proactive sense.

It is through this lense that I allow for the possibility of motorcyclist who dress so brightly that George Takei would be blinded may not be presently at their "most safe." It's possible that they are counting on their colors to do the work for them.

Cool! ---RIP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links