Your Too Black - - Page 4
Close

Your Too Black -

This is a discussion on Your Too Black - within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Kinda reminds me of the stereotyped 80's Volvo driver. There were two types - one was scared shitless of having an accident so they had ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Your Too Black -

Kinda reminds me of the stereotyped 80's Volvo driver. There were two types - one was scared shitless of having an accident so they had to have the safest car in the world.....and the other was the guy that thought he had the safest car in the world, so he drove like a dickwad.

Both were equally unpredictable and dangerous to encounter on the road.

I was thinking of this thread when I was riding in to work this morning and thought about what I was wearing - black full face, black jacket, black pants, black boots, and black gloves....on a black bike. Then I realised this bike is my first (ever) black bike.

Funnily enough, I've had more instances of not being seen on my old flouro orange and green fighter than I have had with the black bike.

I would say black is a good contrast with orange clay dirt.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I have bright yellow rain gear, on my cross continent ride I wore partially KTM orange jacket and my white helmet got a treatment of plenty of reflecting tape.

here in Finland its very common to see touring riders wearing high viz yellow jackets/vests.

I do think being visible helps. Of course it doesn't always help.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    They are an effective aid... as long as you can forget that you are wearing bright colors.

Here's a non motorcycle example from my own experience in Retail. The employees in the happy little shop I work haven't always had name badges, they came into the store and around our necks about 6 years ago. Before that the employee would have to establish themselves as staff by action and service. When we got the double string badges suitible to carry a passport through an airport I noticed that staff became less inclined to engage the customer. The actions (inactions) of the staff made it clear that they felt that the badge was enough to establish that they could help when so desired, so it has become more on the customer to ask for help. (the other thing that would happen is that people would look at me, look at my badge and back at my face, pause, pause, and ask "do you work here? but I digress.) Noticing the shift in the behavior in the store I started looking at other places. Many big box retail has their employees wear vests. Some vests have written on the back "May I Help You?" And from these people I seldom recieve any service, especially in the proactive sense.

It is through this lense that I allow for the possibility of motorcyclist who dress so brightly that George Takei would be blinded may not be presently at their "most safe." It's possible that they are counting on their colors to do the work for them.
    Great point. It makes sense that you could have the best, brightest gear in the world, but if you're relying on it to do all the work, you're probably worse off than wearing all black but paying attention. I've got a healthy fear of everything when I'm riding since my wreck. It taught me not to make a move until you make eye contact with a driver that might cross in front of you, and even then have a plan b.

Dressing like Bozo the clown will never trump well developed traffic awareness...
    ffarl and Pluto like this.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Dress like Bozo and ride a Bosozoku ?

Pluto likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links