am I crazy? - Page 2
Close

am I crazy?

This is a discussion on am I crazy? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just in time actually. About to take a 30 day run up to the homeland (Detroit) and I'll have some free time. Unless I get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: am I crazy?

Just in time actually. About to take a 30 day run up to the homeland (Detroit) and I'll have some free time. Unless I get the scrambler running in a hurry, and then it's ride, fish, ride, drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    ffarl....let me give you a crash course in HDs:

Buells - Erik Buell is a national treasure. anything he built is worthy of study. Even the forelorn blast engine is worth taking a look at even though the rest of the bike blows hairy dog balls.

Sportsters: well this is kind of an odd duck. 90% of the time there is nothing interesting here. However, they were the bikes HD built to be competetive with the english, they were the real HDs people owned for years (Big twins were always expensive). Ironheads espically are usually the domain of just the absolute piece of shit dirt bags because they are the cheapest harley that isn't italian, so there is a lot of garbage bikes floating around and not a lot of interesting things - however, they did also attract weirdo speed freaks like marc and my frind joey A who had to have fast motorcycles and tired to put the sport into sportster. Did you know the 1969 XLCH 900cc sportster was one of the fastest bikes in the world in a straight line in 1968? a lot of the IH stuff is directly related to the race stuff since the HD race team had a limited budget, the engines are as different as chalk and cheese, but there is a lot of frame interchange and you can use some race chassis parts. So once in a while there are interesting things to look at here.

Harley culture makes me want to vomit. their marketing machine is amazing in how it manages to really appeal to just about everybody except real bike enthuaists. It is a shame because some of their products work better then you would think - I took an electra glide up PCH out of san fran for my anniversary one year and loved every minute of it. sure it isn't a "performance" bike and only morons really fall for that performance marketing doublespeak crap (surprised at how many morons there are?), but once you clear out the garbage lifestyle products from the lineup there are some solid motorcycles (or at least there were now that they killed the XR1200X). Nobody forces you to buy a nightster, standard sportsters are still in the line up.
    Mr.Buell. Total agreement. This oughta make you giggle, but the Blast was my second choice to the CX. Love Thumpers, even disguised as a learner bike.

The sportster WAS Italian. At least in the late 60s. The cue lies in the right hand shift.

I HATE with a passion the whole Harley "thing". Total crap based on a marketing powerhouse.

Didn't you tell me that these old HD made bad street bikes because they were slow as shit on the road?
    some comment of needing to be 80 years old and have a foot long beard to own/ride one.....

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't reproduction parts have a massive effect on price?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Farmer John,

The sportster is USA thru and thru.

Actually I understand that the bike originally had left shift in the 50's, but switched to right side because that was how the Brit bikes were, their major competition.

I had a bone stock 94 883. Except for the too small gas tank and no travel shocks it was a pretty good bike, wish I had kept it.

My brother is a "biker", and I tease him about "playing dress up".

Jack

Jack

Geeto,

That seems like a low price, but it could be what it is worth. Could have lots of after market or incorrect parts.

On those old bikes originality is paramount to top dollar. If you get serious, take someone that knows the model with you to view it.

The fellow at the rhinebeck show with the booth next to mine has a WLA there every year, and he points out little obscure things that make it very valuable. It is a really cool bike, but I declined taking it for a spin with that foot clutch and hand spark advance.

I would like something earlier than my 55 triumph--a sport scout looks cool, maybe when I win the lottery.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    Farmer John,

The sportster is USA thru and thru.

Actually I understand that the bike originally had left shift in the 50's, but switched to right side because that was how the Brit bikes were, their major competition.

and there is sometimes confusion that places "itallian" in the backs of minds... due to the Aermacchi made AMF imports with HD logos.....

They even stlyed the Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250 and 350 SS models to look like little sportsters. Some of the Sprints even had sportster seats. My Aermacchi/HD Sprint C, 1961, had the stock HD "Banana" seat, that was used on both the big twins and Sporties. Later models shared the straight bench seat too. I really liked that bike since it only said Harley Davidson on the hand grips and footpeg rubbers. That was the first year of the HD part ownership and they hadn't put the name on the cases yet.

Kinda wish I still had it, but a fellow had a Jawa that I really wanted, and some cash so we made the trade.

In 52 HD came out with there 1st all new bike in 17 years! Yup even then they were to most slow to come up to "todays standards" This new bike was the Model K. the K was a bike of 1st for HD, 1st front and rear suspention, 1st trans and motor sharing same cases, 1st foot shift ( right foot for flat trackers!) with hand clutch and a host of other things.

But you asked about a WL. Price looks good but theres alot of crappy re-pop parts out there and it does effect the price in the end. You asked if you're crazy....well yes but aren't we all? Go look at it ride it see if it make a fire in you.

I never saw myself as an HD owner, but always wanted a Indian....i own a 52 K model Harley, after looking at it for a freind who passed on it i bought it. No regreats well one i don't have enought free time to ride it as it should be.

\"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

Since we're talking old Harleys.....for what it's worth the only one I'd aspire to own is a 57 Sportster.

Probably never happen though....

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    The sportster WAS Italian. At least in the late 60s. The cue lies in the right hand shift.

What? The sportster was always American and right hand shift from day 1 (because the British were right hand shift). Some of the Italian HDs like the sprint shared parts like the seat and tank and fenders but that's it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links