Just what is NEEDED (tic) a boutique cafe racer!
Close

This is a discussion on Just what is NEEDED (tic) a boutique cafe racer! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Maybe this is old, but I just ran across a link for AVA Velocity Works | Raw, pure motorcycles. . Can you imagine the corp ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just what is NEEDED (tic) a boutique cafe racer!

Maybe this is old, but I just ran across a link for AVA Velocity Works | Raw, pure motorcycles.. Can you imagine the corp of lawyers they will need to defend the product liability lawsuits when these get snapped up by the "in" crowd?

Is "performant" a word?

I don't see what's wrong - some Chinese company copies the Honda dream 50 racer and stuffs a 250 in it. It doesn't look "dangerous" to me, just I don't have any expectation for quality coming from china. I also think 1970s 250 engines are inadequate, and this just looks like a Chinese knock off of a1970s Honda engine.

This isn't any different than the CCC misfit, or the sym wolf (only the wolf is Korean and is actually built under license from Honda).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Top Gear had an episode about Chinese auto makers copying cars. They showed a BMW X5 and it had 99% the outward appearance of a BMW.
    The interesting stuff begins around 3:20.

Is China copying motorcycles in the same way? I envision China is still full of 125cc 2-strokes and scooters, certainly nothing over 350cc.
    Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles. It makes me take another look. - S.M.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by busapilot View Post
    ....Is China copying motorcycles in the same way? I envision China is still full of 125cc 2-strokes and scooters, certainly nothing over 350cc.
    Lessee....

Here's a 250cc version of the XR1200:

Here's a very convincing "CB125": (also in that pic is a Suz GS someting-or-other)

How 'bout a "Honda Rebel" 250?:

or a Virago 250:

This 250 looks an awful lot like a ZX-6:

Oooo. Ooooo. Oooo! Here's a 400cc version of a BMW F650GS:

Or any number of dirt/dual sport knock-offs:

There is this new 500 single cylinder with a Subaru engine. Bike is EPA and CARB approved.
    Last edited by o1marc; 08-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

A Chinese 500 thumper based on the Cagiva Canyon motor in a much more crudely engineered frame. Evidently not a pirated knock-off, but actually built with engine tooling licensed from Cagiva.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 08-19-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Actually 500cc, not 600cc.

This should be more of an incentive for American companies to have their mfg goods made in china. Your products come out the front door while the copied products pour out the back door in the millions without a thank you for your design and/or product concept.... Now that's real smart business....
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Many of those 250cc Chinese bikes are only $600-$800 if you buy them in 30 bike lots. I'm sure the Chinese quality doesn't hold a candle to American made.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    This should be more of an incentive for American companies to have their mfg goods made in china. Your products come out the front door while the copied products pour out the back door in the millions without a thank you for your design and/or product concept.... Now that's real smart business....
    My employer manufactures both in the US and Asia, and own our own import sourcing subsidiary. And actually, getting knocked off by your own factory is not as much of an issue as you'd guess. Chinese manufacturers exist in multiple tiers. The ones most of the more sophisticated American products are coming out of wouldn't mess around with bootlegging; they're above it and could lose too much business from it. And the lower-tier counterfeiters making the knock-offs are more than able to reverse engineering for themselves. They don't want the hassles and accountability that comes with manufacturing directly for American firms.

Atleast it has rearsets.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links