Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special - Page 3
Close

Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special

This is a discussion on Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; "I personally own a 850 special, and I can tell you that "shaft jacking" is more a myth than a reality." Bullshit. It's all physics. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special

"I personally own a 850 special, and I can tell you that "shaft jacking" is more a myth than a reality."

Bullshit. It's all physics. I've owned two XS750E and one XS1100E and I can tell you, it is real. It was so bad that a high-rpm first or second gear throttle chop would hop the rear wheel off the ground. You're either riding it like a pansy or have hard-tailed the bike.

"The seca 650 I had for a while had no lash"

True, to a point. It still did have a shaft-jacking effect, but was much subdued. I had one of those too.

The first-gen Yamaha shafties used a constant-velocity universal joint, and later ones used a more traditional u-joint. I'd never heard of, seen parts of, or witnessed any Yamaha shaft final drive that locked up. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I'd say they were pretty solid from a durability standpoint.
    I believe we have run out of trolls.

my GS850L was a bucking bronco. you could literally feel it rise and fall. The R80Rt beemer isn't as bad but I do get why they call all airheads rubber cows - the jacking motion and the rotational effect make for an interesting ride quality.

A lot also depends on the condition of the bike. If you are on worn out springs and bad swingarm bushings - you are gonna feel that. If the bike is nice and tight all around it won't be as bad.

You can get used to this stuff you know. After a while in the saddle you don't even notice it. All old vespas lean 15 degrees to the right when not on the throttle and straight up when you are. After a couple of days you don't notice it anymore.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I've heard on more than one occasion about the XS11 final drive locking up - not sure if it was the actual final drive unit or the universal at the motor but apparently it was whilst the bike was being ridden and it locked the wheel. Apparently. Never saw it, so I won't say it's gospel.

But I did have an XJ900 universal let go (not on me, but on the guy I'd just sold the bike to). Made quite a mess. We went halves in the repair bill because he wasn't a dickhead and swore he didn't abuse the bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    I've heard on more than one occasion about the XS11 final drive locking up - not sure if it was the actual final drive unit or the universal at the motor but apparently it was whilst the bike was being ridden and it locked the wheel. Apparently. Never saw it, so I won't say it's gospel.

But I did have an XJ900 universal let go (not on me, but on the guy I'd just sold the bike to). Made quite a mess. We went halves in the repair bill because he wasn't a dickhead and swore he didn't abuse the bike.
    Naw this lockup is common at the middle drive. Gear oil leaks into the crank and it burns up.

"Gear oil leaks into the crank and it burns up."

'Splain that, Luceeee.
    Last edited by Emit R Detsaw; 09-06-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Punctuation error.

sorry...the gear oil from the bolt on middle drive leaks into the crank and the middle drive runs dry and eventually locks. I believe it leaks through the bearings between the final gear housing and the crank. Should have been more clear.

Hey guys, I have been messing with the bike some, but have been short on free time because I bought a house that needs some work as well.
    The motor runs on the bike, but poorly because of dirty or damaged carbs. I have a guy offering to sell me some known good mikuni's for it, so I'll probably go with those. My front brake is locked up, though, so I haven't been able to ride the bike at all yet. Does anybody know if I can just disassemble the calipers and clean them up with Emory cloth or something, replace the o-rings and call them good?
    I joined the Yamaha triples forum, so I'll ask over there, too. It also seems like a good place to find parts as well. I think I'm going to get a standard rear wheel and tank if I can, and try to find some super bike or dirt bike bars that I like.
    The seat is the last thing on the list, but it will be for sale once I figure out the direction I want to go with that.
    The bike has some Dunlop tires on it that are in good shape, but they're a couple of years old. Does anyone reccomend avon tires? I have crashed with Chinese tires before, but I can't afford the pirelli's I normally put on crotch rockets. I plan to push the limits of this bike once in a while, and sticking to the road is a good thing....
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    Hey guys, I have been messing with the bike some, but have been short on free time because I bought a house that needs some work as well.
    The motor runs on the bike, but poorly because of dirty or damaged carbs. I have a guy offering to sell me some known good mikuni's for it, so I'll probably go with those. My front brake is locked up, though, so I haven't been able to ride the bike at all yet. Does anybody know if I can just disassemble the calipers and clean them up with Emory cloth or something, replace the o-rings and call them good?
    I joined the Yamaha triples forum, so I'll ask over there, too. It also seems like a good place to find parts as well. I think I'm going to get a standard rear wheel and tank if I can, and try to find some super bike or dirt bike bars that I like.
    The seat is the last thing on the list, but it will be for sale once I figure out the direction I want to go with that.
    The bike has some Dunlop tires on it that are in good shape, but they're a couple of years old. Does anyone reccomend avon tires? I have crashed with Chinese tires before, but I can't afford the pirelli's I normally put on crotch rockets. I plan to push the limits of this bike once in a while, and sticking to the road is a good thing....
    Those calipers are pretty easy to rebuild if you can get the piston out. Try installing a grease fitting where the bleeder was and force it out
    with a grease gun. Worked for me a few times.
    Avon AM26s are great tires. If you want cheap tires that stick, Fullbores worked great in my Sporty.

So you crashed on Chinese tires before...are you blaming your crash solely on the tires?

I've crashed on just about every brand of tire, bias, radial, cheap and damn expensive. Wasn't the tire that caused the crash.

Mikunis as in flat or round slides or cv mikunis?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links