Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special - Page 4
Close

Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special

This is a discussion on Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I truly blame my own carelessness for my crash, although with better/stickier tires my delayed reaction to the guy driving on my side of the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bought another bike! Yamaha xs850 special

I truly blame my own carelessness for my crash, although with better/stickier tires my delayed reaction to the guy driving on my side of the road In a curve might not have resulted in my bike sliding out from under me.
    the carbs he has are the round slide smooth bore 29's I believe. I had a set on my old kz1000, and they were great. These arethe same thing just set up for a yammy triple.
    Thanks for the grease gun tip! The pistons slide out pretty well with just the master cylinder, just won't slide back in to let go of my rotor. I opened the bleeder and they still wouldn't let to, so I blame the caliper rather than the hose, although I will replace all the hoses with stainless next month when I have some extra scratch...
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw View Post
    "I personally own a 850 special, and I can tell you that "shaft jacking" is more a myth than a reality."

Bullshit. It's all physics. I've owned two XS750E and one XS1100E and I can tell you, it is real. It was so bad that a high-rpm first or second gear throttle chop would hop the rear wheel off the ground. You're either riding it like a pansy or have hard-tailed the bike.

"The seca 650 I had for a while had no lash"

True, to a point. It still did have a shaft-jacking effect, but was much subdued. I had one of those too.

The first-gen Yamaha shafties used a constant-velocity universal joint, and later ones used a more traditional u-joint. I'd never heard of, seen parts of, or witnessed any Yamaha shaft final drive that locked up. Doesn't mean it never happened, but I'd say they were pretty solid from a durability standpoint.
    I drove my 850 to work the other day, and as I was driving it I thought about the shaft jacking. I cracked the throttle a few times and now I agree if you think about it then you will notice it. I can't conceive of it actually hopping the wheel off the ground, but I will agree I don't drive it like I'm on a suicide ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    Naw this lockup is common at the middle drive. Gear oil leaks into the crank and it burns up.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the XJ900 shares the same engine design as the 650, and the 650 does not have separate oil for the middle gear like the triples and the 1100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i just finished my 850 special, i kinda like the way it looks... & its my bike, i call it whatever i want... cafe, bobber...rat bike...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links