One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back - Page 2
Close

One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

This is a discussion on One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; You have a reduction starter but not enough reduction. does the end cap come off the motor? you could possibly swap the leads on the ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

You have a reduction starter but not enough reduction. does the end cap come off the motor? you could possibly swap the leads on the brushed, or rotate the brush holder, or rotate the housing with the magnets 180 degrees. it shouldnt be a huge deal. worst case is you have to extend brush wires in there to swap polarity.

the other issue is reduction. the best way would be a 10:1 inline reduction box. but thats pricey unless you have a very good scrapyard. unfortunately your device is pretty but not well thought out by the shop.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

do you have a lathe? or a friend with a lathe?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    do you have a lathe? or a friend with a lathe?
    The place that built it is a machine shop that I am on a barter system with. As far as not well thought out, they probably didn't know the application requirements for me. These starters work fine for their application on go carts, his kid has over 600 national feature wins, they use these starters for his carts.

Check this phenom out, google "Spencer Davis Racing", he's only 14 years old now and racing late model stock cars and trucks.
    Last edited by o1marc; 10-10-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The Dodge starter runs counter clockwise. I got caught by the rotation thing as well. I used to work for NAPA auto parts at their LA DC. It has a retail store attached and the manager is a long time friend of the Bean Bandits so was sympathetic to my LSR efforts. There were (and still are) a number of "faulty" starters in the back of the store. The "faulty" part was usually clumsiness on the part of the installer. I was able to borrow them to see what would or wouldn't work. In the end it came down to needing a gear reduction The starter I bought was a rebuilt unit and has worked fine for the past five years. I went out to the garage to have a look at it and unfortunately the only number I could see on it was 17540. Meaningless except maybe to NAPA. If you are like me and broke most of the time a scrounge around a junkyard might be in order. Making the handles etc. is nothing. I made mine from a piece of 3/4" sq. tubing and some 1/8" plate. All bits I had laying around. The handles are two 1/2" x 4" bolts with some foam wrapped around them.

The other alternative is what I used to start my Norton. A Briggs and Stratton to spin the rear wheel. Once again I had to reduce the wheel speed so it would bite the rear tire of the bike. Worked fine on the Norton but wasn't worth a damn on the sidecar. Another alternative, if you have pots of money, is a Doc Z roller starter. But I don't have pots of money.

Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Have any idea what models of Dodge have the starter I need?
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Not off the top of my head but I can find out.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Not off the top of my head but I can find out.
    Please do. And check with your connection and see if there are any of those "faulty starters" still hanging around.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

you are saying looking at the spud, it turns counter clockwise right? If so pretty much any old v8 starter will do the deed. they all turn clockwise looking at balancer, so due to the spur reduction at the flywheel the starter turns counter clockwise (as it would be installed on the engine and in your start cart). Pretty much the exception to the clockwise rule is Honda car engines. I am guessing you have a starter form a fwd import of some sort that installs from the back of the bellhousing.

the starter he is using is most likely from any A or B series Chrysler engine from the 50s to the 90s. Shouldnt be too hard to find. the bolt flat to the bellhousing like your current starter. I would probably remove the original pinion and try to fit a shaft of some sort to mate with your spud. You may need more reduction though

Here is an article all about chrysler starters: Repairing vintage Chrysler - Plymouth - Dodge starters
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

I used to use the big ol dodge gear reduction starter for my dragbike, worked fine but that was on an 80 inch Suzuki. Even for that 24 volt is required. Later on I went with a Toyota gear reduction starter, worked just as well. But 24 volt operation was always necessary. Never Burned up a starter though. Solenoids would trash after about 250 starts.
    Seems like a v-twin may need more torque to turn over.
    Notice that pingel says that their starters are NOT for V-twins. Starters

I'm assuming here that you are connecting the starter directly to the crankshaft?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links