One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back
Close

This is a discussion on One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So the guy calls me the other day to say all they are waiting on to complete my hand held starter is a push button ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: One Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

So the guy calls me the other day to say all they are waiting on to complete my hand held starter is a push button that costs $15. Look through my box of left over racecar parts that has all the switches and dash lights and buttons and find 2 of the exact buttons they use, Bingo, no more holdups. When I drop it off there he tells me the bad news. The owner doesn't want to give me the starter on our barter deal, wants to charge me $350 for it. The manager says Don't worry about it, I'll get it done and in your hands and we'll work out a payment plan or something, Cool. He calls this morning saying it is ready and to come get it before the owner sees it and asks about it. I jump in the truck and haul ass to go get it figuring put of sight out of mind. I'm on the way home and just out of curiosity I hit the button to see if it spins the right way (clockwise), Fuck me, it turns counter clockwise (1 step back). I get to the house and wonder my second question and that is does it have enough torque to turn my high compression motor over. I plug it in and it bare turns the crank about 1/16th of a turn (2nd step back). I pull the plugs and try again and it won't even turn the motor with no compression on it, Fuck me hard. Well I just saved $350 but am back at square one on getting this thing fired anytime soon. I think they make these for gokarts and the starter and battery they use just don't have the torque needed for an 11:1 or 10:1 motor my size.

www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Take her apart and see how the lead routing goes. You may be able to reverse the polarity in the motor to get the direction you need.

But looks like you have other more pressing issues at the moment. heh
    Last edited by MK3Brent; 10-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MK3Brent View Post
    Take her apart and see how the lead routing goes. You may be able to reverse the polarity in the motor to get the direction you need.

But looks like you have other more pressing issues at the moment. heh
    If I can get it to spin clockwise lack of power is still a bigger issue. I tried reversing polarity of the battery hook up to no avail.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

we come together cuz opposites attract
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

They want 350 for that?!!? I am in the wrong wrong business. Forget I.T. I'm gonna start building start carts for a living.

On a real world issue. The starter is fine. It will get the job done. But what they have left out is the final reduction that the pinion and flywheel ring gear provide. You will need more gears or chain reduction. I am guessing the output spins like mad when you power it.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

to put it into perspective on a small block chevy with an 11 tooth pinion (some factory reduction starters similar to what you have) and a 153 tooth flywheel have a 14:1 reduction between starter and engine. you have 1:1 with that rig. You could probably add another plate and some bearings and use a chain and sprockets to reduce it. spur gears would give you the direction reverse but would be less forgiving from a setup standpoint.
    Last edited by raven; 10-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

www.CreativeCandy.org

I agree with raven the starter is fine, you need a gear reduction to multiply the torque and spin the big mill. I think you also may need a decomp lever in one of the plugs.

stupid question #2 - are you going to carry that heavy lump with you everywhere in a back pack? or is it just for home/track starting?
    If it is just for home starting why don't you get a roller starter?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Your best bet is to go get a starter with a built in gear reduction. I use a Dodge starter for my sidecar. The Weslake is 14:1 and a standard starter won't cut it. They are't cheap but they work. On the start line at Bonneville is the last place in the world you want to be to find out your starter won't cut it. Plus Dodge starters are the right rotation.

Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

The Dodge starter turns counter clockwise? If I go that route it will set me back longer as I don't have any money right now and the place that made my starter probably won't put the money out to buy one as they already had the starters and parts to make mine instock.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links