xs750/850 "the beginning of the end" or "new member hazing: an advice thread
Close

This is a discussion on xs750/850 "the beginning of the end" or "new member hazing: an advice thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; if this is mis-categorized, i do not know. i suppose ill jump right into it, i recently acquired a non-running 82 xs850 special minus the ...

if this is mis-categorized, i do not know.

i suppose ill jump right into it,
    i recently acquired a non-running 82 xs850 special minus the wheels and tank for $150... a parts bike.
    9 months prior, i acquired a non-running xs750 (not sure of the sub-model, but it has the attractive tank and all other parts for that matter) for a whopping "haul it off"

while this is "caferacer.net", i dont really plan to assemble this hunk of garage eating unsaleability into a cafe racer so much as draw on some of the constituent influences of the caferacer type and integrate them into what in my mind conforms more to the style of a tracker while ultimately relying on practicality (obviously a relative term) as my divining rod for build direction.

insomnia-induced incomprehensibility aside, here are my objectives as they stand:

DRIVETRAIN
    -rebuild the 750/850 powerplant with 850 heads and 850 sump (ive heard talk of using wiseco xs11 pistons to make a potential 930cc)
    -obviously mate that to the 850 gearbox
    -flat slide mikunis from a late 90's triumph with god knows what sort of airbox/crankcase ventilation arrangement
    -oe ignition and coils
    -kick only
    -xs750 standard tank with manual petcocks
    -exhaust: 3-3? try to find a spec ii?

CHASSIS
    -late 90's yzf600 fork/brakes
    -looped rear frame?
    -rear brake of unknown variety

not sure what size wheels id like to run, but spokes would be preferable, i just cant figure out how to go with spokes and have a rear disc brake outside of some fab'd bit.

im not entirely certain about how to address the electrical, i might bite the bullet and go with one of motogadgets m-units seeing as the previous owner seems to have be hell-bent on covering the already questionable wiring loom in butt connectors, electrical tape, and a thick layer of corrosion.

the prospect of chain conversion is one that i entertain, perhaps with a zrx1200 swingarm (assuming fitment) or an it465 swingarm (ive read on this forum that it is a pretty near match). the swingarm pivot apparently introduces chain geometry issues that are mitigated by raising the drivetrain an inch or so... issues that im not very clear on how i might mitigate otherwise, not to mention the need (real or otherwise) to build a more sensible subframe if i went the mono-shock route. on the other hand, i could pick up a set of kyb zrx1100 shocks, an xs11 diff and call it a day (or an interim solution).

finally, that leaves me with the problem of a comfortable saddle and brackets for a rack and panniers, but that hardly seems like a problem at all.

It is very late and I look forward to reading any advice, remarks, insults, compliments, or the like that any of you might have as well as re-reading this masturbatory post.
    Last edited by kilgore_trout; 11-06-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: done fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    contrary to the title, i have done very little to
    Surrealism.

and in conclusion, I posit it's clear that no
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You get points for user name though.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Actually. You have a plan. You have performance improving goals. No one here will fault that. Now if you have the moxy to make it happen.

You do have the neccessary paperwork for your state correct?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Actually. You have a plan. You have performance improving goals. No one here will fault that. Now if you have the moxy to make it happen.

You do have the neccessary paperwork for your state correct?
    It's good to hear that my vague outline inspires confidence.
    My state is california, so a title, about $200 in back registration and a notarized log of everything I've had to eat for the last 20 years and I should be able to hit the road.

Working on a chain conversion for xs1100. Charlieboy just finished one. Check it out, it is a good way to drop weight and isnt terribly difficult.

Kilgore, what have you done before in terms or riding and fabricating. What you write sounds interesting - however if you are a starving artist and these are your 1st bikes then you are a fool who needs a bit of a smack on the head.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    You get points for user name though.
    it was either this or Philip José Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    Working on a chain conversion for xs1100. Charlieboy just finished one. Check it out, it is a good way to drop weight and isnt terribly difficult.
    i took a look at his. the idler sprocket seems to be a rather elegant solution, however i imagine that it might limit suspension travel a bit much for my purposes. i suppose ill have to come to terms with the possibility of raising the engine... not terribly excited about that prospect seeing as i dont really trust myself to the welding on something this crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    Kilgore, what have you done before in terms or riding and fabricating. What you write sounds interesting -
    however if you are a starving artist and these are your 1st bikes then you are a fool who needs a bit of a smack on the head.
    presently, these are my only bikes - if you can call them that.
    as i was out of the country for a while, i sold off a fair bit: motorcycle included. my buddy has my 550 and i am presently in the market for a sherpa although i have a feeling that ill be having the cb back again... later or sooner, we'll see.
    just a fucking pleb: i possess neither the tools nor the skills for proper "fabrication", but i reckon if pressed (so to speak) i could perform a the kind of bodge that would make a crank-whore blush.
    as an addendum: violence against artists and the poor... if you werent a resident of one of the most progressive and well educated social democracies in modern times i might cry "fascist". fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    ...if you werent a resident of one of the most progressive and well educated social democracies in modern times i might cry "fascist". fascist.
    There are plenty of those around. They don't realize they're fascists because they're not properly educated about what fascism is and its outcomes. The fascists in the school systems have stopped teaching them properly.

Welding is one of the things I whore myself out for also. I have a welder, I use it, but not on anything critical... No one can do everything themselves!

-Deek

Sponsored Links