Norton Featherbed frame info... - Page 3
Close

Norton Featherbed frame info...

This is a discussion on Norton Featherbed frame info... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 that's kind of the point...so you can see the frame details. those kawi fairings are huge and cover a lot. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    that's kind of the point...so you can see the frame details. those kawi fairings are huge and cover a lot.
    I agree, just wish they had shown at least one pic with the fairing mounted. In my book those are some of the coolest vintage racers ever.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

the first and last link show the fairing. I agree they are great looking race bikes.

I need to finish my h1.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    the first and last link show the fairing. I agree they are great looking race bikes.

I need to finish my h1.
    I wish the first pic that showed the line up of bikes showed more of the others.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

here is the Bradley "Boston cycles" H1RA:

Mojo Kawasaki - Bradley H1RA Photos
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have a couple of question to ask. What are your plans with the Kawa/Norton when you get it together? Race? Road? Are your riding skills way up there? I don't believe a kawa triple would overly challenge a featherbed. The forks would be fine for anything you plan. Remember way back in 1961 Mike Hailwood took his Manx Norton forks and all for six laps of the Isle of Man (around 225 miles) at an average speed of 100.02 mph Roadholder forks and all. Bob McIntyre was second on a Manx Norton at an average speed of 99.20 mph. Tom Phillis was third on a Norton Domiracer at an average of 98.78 mph. These averages were done on closed public roads with skinny Dunlop KRs. So I'm wondering what you plan to do with it?
    Last edited by Hoofhearted; 01-29-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

I remember seeing Duhamel race snowmobiles on the half mile horse race track at Hazel Park. They were the loudest ear hurting things but cannot remember what brand it was but probably ski doo.

Thanks for all the links Geeto, I'd seen some before but most is news to me...first I've heard of the FUBAR susp. system. Hoof, can't say I have a plan, this is more like middle-of-the-winter bench racing; it hadn't occurred to me to put a triple in a featherbed 'til I saw the pic. I mentioned...got me to thinkin' and askin' those who know these things, I've always liked the looks of Tritons & such. I built a cafe'-style KH500 couple years ago, studied Denco & Tony Foale articles for frame mod.'s and asked questions. I found there's a school of thought that the late frame is fine, just get the suspension up to snuff ,replace neck bearings with tapered-rollers & keep the swingarm bushes snug: I went with this as a starting point figuring I could always change the frame later if needed...I'd never ridden one before so I didn't know personally what I was dealing with. The end result was the bike was down to approx. 350 lb.'s (2 bathroom scales),clipons &rearsets, & hopefully some power improvement with pods & exp. chambers. New fork springs & fork brace up front, stiffer shocks 1" longer than stock. I've never raced, but I've been paying attention to actions/ reactions for quite a few years; no expert, maybe middle-of-the-road competent? Whatever, I like the way this bike handles& runs, no shortcomings for my skill level so far. So, like I said before, I'm not ready to build something right now, but I'm always interested in learning more about bikes, and I appreciate all the info you guys shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    I have a couple of question to ask. What are your plans with the Kawa/Norton when you get it together? Race? Road? Are your riding skills way up there? I don't believe a kawa triple would overly challenge a featherbed. The forks would be fine for anything you plan. Remember way back in 1961 Mike Hailwood took his Manx Norton forks and all for six laps of the Isle of Man (around 225 miles) at an average speed of 100.02 mph Roadholder forks and all. Bob McIntyre was second on a Manx Norton at an average speed of 99.20 mph. Tom Phillis was third on a Norton Domiracer at an average of 98.78 mph. These averages were done on closed public roads with skinny Dunlop KRs. So I'm wondering what you plan to do with it?
    To put this in perspective, Mick Grant Broke Hailwood's IOM average speed single lap (108.77 on the RC181) record with a kawasaki H1R at 109.82mph. in 1967 the average speed was around 99mph in the 500cc class (Hailwoods 105 mpg race lap was exceptional for the era), by 1974 the average speed was about 100 with some exceptions (104mph for Ago in 1972). Looking at what most people were doing and what hailwood was doing only leads to the enivitable conculsion that mike is the bike and nobody does it better.

here is a pic of a Norasaki (triple in an F bed) on the kneeslider. The article is pretty useless. The engine looks lost in the frame but oddly not too wide.
    Norton Kawasaki 2 Stroke Cafe Racer ? Norasaki
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I was curious to know what, if any, the plans were for the "Noraski"? Hailwood was, is and for the foreseeable future the greatest rider to ever sit on a bike. When Hailwood won in '61 the Norton he used was three years old. My point is that he didn't need a modified frame, cartridge forks etc to run fast. Nor did McIntyre or Phillis. So unless there is some very serious racing in the plan a standard featherbed and roadholders would be more than sufficient.

I was surprised to see that triple in the featherbed didn't look quite as dreadful as I had imagined. Way too short like unit Triumphs in a featherbed but the cylinders fill the hole nicely.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links