The Best Piece of Gear you have ever bought?
Close

This is a discussion on The Best Piece of Gear you have ever bought? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So back in 1986 my Dad bought a pair of SlipStreamer guantlet style leather gloves. In 1987 he gifted them to me when he bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So back in 1986 my Dad bought a pair of SlipStreamer guantlet style leather gloves. In 1987 he gifted them to me when he bought me my first motorcycle helmet (an all Black Shoei). Fast forward 28 years later and I still wear them. In fact I wore them today and pretty much every day since it got cold. Aside from a few small wear spots they are still supple and well made and have survived numerous get offs and god knows whatever else. They are warm, well made, and amazingly durable. I count them as one of the best pieces of Motorcycle gear I own. I am actually upset since Slipstreamer got out of the Glove business in the late 1990s and now only make windshields, so when they do finally wear out I won't be able to replace them with an identical pair. Anybody who has ridden with me has seen these gloves, they are black gauntlet style with red stiching.

So what piece of gear has surprised you with how awesome it has worked/lasted?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Definately my DriRider jacket. Got it when I got my first rode bike at 17 (13 years ago) and still wear it now! Came off at 30mph and slid into a volvo on my learners and there's barely even a scuff on it. Not bad at all.

- Products - Our Brands - DRIRIDER

aerostitch adv pants

thats amazing about those gloves. I have to replace my daily rider gloves every other year and i have tried a few brands.
    Last edited by Buckets; 02-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I just ordered a pair of Olympia 410 gloves to replace the Olympia gloves I wreaked from an accident two years ago. Even tho I wreaked the gloves, my hands didn't have a scratch on them - so I'm sticking with'em. The first pair I purchased at the harley dealer for 75 dollars, I ordered a pair off ebay for 57 dollars.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

In 1983, I won a bright blue Atlantic 1-piece rain suit in the raffle at the WMRRA Christmas party. I still have it 30 years later. It looks a little grungy, but other than a couple of tiny burn holes on the inside of the right knee (thanks to an XL600R's exhaust pipe) it's still in perfectly useable shape. Over the years I've used it not only for riding, but for fishing, too. However, about a year and a half ago, I finally broke down and bought a two-piece rain suit, because my 50-year-old body has become a wee bit larger and less limber when climbing in and out of a 1-piece suit.

Even though it is no longer usable, my old Joe Rocket Jacket would have to be at the top of the list...it had to be a good 10 years old and had become rather faded and weather worn...it was a gift from an old buddy who is now riding the Happy Hunting Grounds. After many years of good service, it did not survive the last incident that I had with the deer last fall...the new chipseal on the road tore the left shoulder of the jacket to ribbons, but I walked away with only a few scratches on the top of my shoulder...it did it's job and saved me a lot of pain. Now my old $10.00 helmet...it took a pretty good smack above the left temple and I might not even be writing this if I hadn't been wearing that thing.

I have a pair of old gauntlets that were new in about 1974...I bought them from a buddy for $2.00. They had survived a couple of accidents and the stitching was gone out of some of the finger tips...and he had been using them as welding gloves for about a year. Took 'em home, stitched up the fingers, slathered them with dubbin and have been wearing them off and on ever since. For some reason he was really pissed off at me when he saw how easy it was to repair them.
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Buckets View Post
    thats amazing about those gloves. I have to replace my daily rider gloves every other year and i have tried a few brands.
    It amazes me too. For xmas a couple of years ago my folks gave me a set of harley davidson branded textile gauntlet style armored gloves. Very warm and had features like a rubber edge on the finger for wiping my helmet windscreen and synthetic alcantra pads at the finger tips and palm. I washed them this year according to the care tag and the side of the gloves ripped open in the washing machine. They are completely useless now. The still look new except for the shredded portion. I'm glad I never had to crash test them because they wouldn't have held up, weak as wet toilet paper.

Not riding gear per se, but I ride in them all the time, I still wear the Frye square toe "Roper" style boots I bought in 1992. I have had to have them re soled at least once and the corner of the heel is ground down on the left one from a get off but they have been amazing as well. I have never found a motorcycle boot that fits my 13.5" foot comfortably but these bad boys have lasted like you wouldn't believe and have walked the world with me.

but carry on...let's hear some more gear stories.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

During the winter of 1983 I was a motorcycle courier in London, it was so cold that and I decided to buy a pair of extremely unfashionable long johns (when were they ever fashionable?). Well, I'm still wearing them to this day. They're pretty worn in places but the most amazing thing is that the still fit, although they are quite stretchy!
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

For Motorcycle gear the best thing I bought is my Tourmaster rain jacket. At the first giro I rode it was raining cats and dogs. A friend had to go to the locale bike shop for a spark plug, so I gave him what I thought was $40 (2 twenties) and asked him to get me a raincoat, expecting a yellow plastic one. He came back with the Tourmaster, which was on sale for $60 pr so. Seems that I had given him a $20 and a $50. Glad I did.

Another favorite thing, though not directly motorcycle related, is a pair of Walls insulated coveralls. I have had them at least 30 years and they are great for working out in the poorly heated shop or cold dirt floored basement I have to work in.

Now I like to buy the best gear I can afford, and I want it to last me the rest of my riding life. I am hoping for 20 years, but you never know.

used to buy some very trippy sticky black resin back in the 80's but cant seem to get it now.... what? you said gear? oh not that sort of gear? sorry.
    'old hooligan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links