Bikes per capita - interesting...
Close

This is a discussion on Bikes per capita - interesting... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Where Are the Motorcyclists in the USA?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I believe we have run out of trolls.

Doesnt seem like there is a correlation with helmet laws. Nor does weather seem to matter (texas near the bottom, NH at top). Hmmmm.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

I noticed the top 10 are mostly rural states. If you are the only guy in town with a motorcycle and there are 10 people in your town then you are 10% of the population.

Keep in mind this goes by active registrations, not active motorcycle licenses. I wonder what the overlap looks like in those two populations. in NY I knew plenty of people that rode on a permit (ahem...jaguar...cough), or had unregistered motorcycles sitting around. The other guys in HFL for the entire time they lived in NYC didn't own a motorcycle (actually one of them owned one toward the end).
    Last edited by Geeto67; 02-19-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I dont know. For its size, NH has a decent population. and i dont think all those people are jammed into manchester or nashua.
    What you really need is another column with pop. density and that might shed some light.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

10% of all the bikes in the USA are in Calif. and almost 7% in Fla.Those are the states to look for bikes. Geeto, how many of those bikes are owned by riders with multiple bikes skewing the numbers even more.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

I find it interesting the top mc population areas are in snow bound sections of the country.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    I find it interesting the top mc population areas are in snow bound sections of the country.
    And I'll bet a good percentage of them are off road type bikes as opposed to states like Calif where there would be a bigger percentage of road bikes.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    10% of all the bikes in the USA are in Calif. and almost 7% in Fla.Those are the states to look for bikes. Geeto, how many of those bikes are owned by riders with multiple bikes skewing the numbers even more.
    Hard to say...large collections usually have "dealer" plates so it wouldn't even come up. I know with TO there has to be 20-30 bikes but all are race bikes. I think Rob only has one registered street bike.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    And Texas looks to be about 3rd. But i think most people would guess that the states with more people have more bikes. Ny gets a pass because almost half its population is jammed into 1 city. Whats more interesting is the per capita stat or even a per area stat as I suggested earlier and what the correlations are if any. For example if california was the leader in the per capita stat, then things get interesting (i.e. lane splitting laws)

Ohio outstrips NY in both per capita and sheer volume. Amazing since most of our population is focused in three major cities (CinCi, cBus, and CLand) with mostly farm country and shrinking towns like youngstown and Toledo in between. Also Dayton, but that is a rotating military population.

What doesn't surprise me is that the upper half of the list is predominatly places with lower cost of living. North Dakota, south Dakota, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Idaho are routinely toward the top of the chart in when it comes to cost of living. I guess lower cost of living means more money to spend on toys. I wonder if cars older than 30 years registration and gun ownership shakes out the same way.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links