Big Wheels - Page 4
Close

Big Wheels

This is a discussion on Big Wheels within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by o1marc That only works when you are trying to set the beads by filling through the valve stem. That won't work when ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Big Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    That only works when you are trying to set the beads by filling through the valve stem. That won't work when trying to seat the bead on a 9" tire on a 12" rim.
    Sure it would, getting air into the tire faster helps to get the bead set, why else would you take it out then.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by oneworden View Post
    Sure it would, getting air into the tire faster helps to get the bead set, why else would you take it out then.
    When you are trying to stretch a skinny tire onto a too wide rim the air going through the valve stem is useless when using the blaster to blast the air into the tire to blow the sidewalls onto the beads.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    When you are trying to stretch a skinny tire onto a too wide rim the air going through the valve stem is useless when using the blaster to blast the air into the tire to blow the sidewalls onto the beads.
    If you can get the beads to touch the rim (IE: with a ratchet strap) then popping the beads by using air through the stem is fine. Taking the core out can make all the difference sometimes.

Or just use lighter fluid and video it for YouTube.
    oneworden likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The time is coming near to have to get tires so we'll see if I can get them on when the time comes.

I am making quite a bit of progress though, I was about to put the 1600cc DP engine in and realized someone had bashed the push rods and tubes and cracked part of the drivers side head. Instead of trying to fix it I found a Type 4 porsche 914/ 412 1800cc engine on CL. Went and picked it up and getting ready to slot it in once the new clutch gets here.

That should give me the power I need to not worry about turning the bigger tires. I understand that big tires, big engine, little transaxle something is going to have to give when it gets rough and the trans is the weakest link for now. I'm going to have to take it easy until I can upgrape to a different trans. For now its all about getting it together to pass inspection and get legal.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    With wider rims the sidewalls don't flex so handling could improve if pressure is increased to compensate.
    Saying that, I wouldn't go 3.5" over, generally 2" is max so needs wider tyres or narrower rims.
    Narrower rims would probably be best, as pointed out, transmission/drive shafts are weak points and swing axle side plates ain't too strong (they don't like side loads, even the heavy duty ones can fail)
    If your not going to be in deep sand I would use narrower fronts as well, there isn't much weight on the front so handling gets a bit sketchy with wider tyres
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links