GN axles (not motorcycle...)
Close

This is a discussion on GN axles (not motorcycle...) within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone here fool with GN floater axles? Im trying to sort out hubs. I got a housing that I am 99.9% sure is a 2.5 ...

Anyone here fool with GN floater axles? Im trying to sort out hubs.

I got a housing that I am 99.9% sure is a 2.5 pin. From a cup car. Need to figure out what the lowest cost 5x5 hubs are gonna be.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

What are you putting it in? Standard 9" axle tubes are 3". If it's a Cup housing it's likely to have larger tubes and you'll have to butch up all your brackets.

As far as hubs Howe used to have snout diagrams in their paper catalog. Otherwise call a place like this; 9" Ford Rear End Housings-USED - Circle Track Supply, Inc.

My bet is you can buy a complete rearend somewhere like Winters cheaper than you can get hubs for your housing.

\"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Well, its going under a 89 Chevy 4 door truck. With a big Caddy or possibly BBC power. I got a dinky 10 bolt, non posi, 3.08 with the LWB frame its going on. And an 8 lug 14 bolt with 4.56s from the crashed chassis. I want to run 5x5 pattern due to wheel availability.

I am not worried about bracketry, I am converting to use truck arm rear suspension with either air bags or coils with weight jacks. Probably the latter to begin with. The housing I have is symetric except it has a half degree camber dialed in on one tube and i think the toe in on one is 1/16th different, I can camber and toe it as need be. The only thing I will need to move is the panhard bar mount. I need it to be further over because its halfway down the left side tube. The truck arm brackets on the housing will work as is. I will be fabricating arms from 2x3x3/16 rectangular tubing with poly joints at the front. Since the rectangular tube arms can not twist like stock and aftermarket I beam cross section arms, the spherical poly joints will provide the neccessary twist as the suspension articulates. Not that it will articulate like an offroad truck, think pro touring on this one.

Thanks for the links Either of you have an opinion on brake hat versus hub with direct rotor mount on the back?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Direct mount the rotors. I can't articulate a technical reason why but that's how I'd do it.

That and the hubs you find to fit that housing are going to have rotor flanges on them more than likely.

I like direct mount rotors as well. you know when you weld your mounts on the housing will warp. You'll need to figure out ho to make a jig to check it for straightness. Years ago I wrote an article "how to manufacture a dwarf car rear end" it was on-line all over the place. Basicaly you'll need an empty chuck with bushings where the carrier bearing normaly go, then a turn ground and polished to slide straight thru the carrier bushings and out the ends then you need bushings to fit over the end stubs. you'll need to heat and quench the tight spots to pull the tubes back to straight

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

I am probably not gonna weld directly back to the housing. I am strongly considering anchoring the axle end of my panhard bar to the end of the truck arm. I may still resort to the method described to fix any camber or toe in issues vs using the big press method . Honestly I may do it just to make sure the housing isn't battered or bent to something weird, given its ex-race car heritage.

Most of the used hubs I have seen are direct mount, either cast in or with a plate which mounts to the rear of the hub. I am looking for a set of used direct mounts with the rotor mount cast in. One less thing to buy that way. If I were willing to convert the truck to wide five hubs I could have had like six sets by now. But I don't have any wide five wheels and new Bassett 15x8s are 86 bucks each. I have 5x5 wheels already.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Also...while i have knowledgeable people here.... are the splines the same on a 31 spline locker that fits a into champ sized quick change the same as on a GN/Ford 9 inch based locker vis a vis the same as on a the end of an 8.8 IRS axle from say a Cobra Mustang or Explorer with 31 spline axles??
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

WAR Tech Board - Message Index

Try asking over on the WAR board there's no classified but just ask someone will have a set.

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

Not sure on the splines it's been to long since I delt with big stuff

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

Sponsored Links