Deathmasters lol
Close

Deathmasters lol

This is a discussion on Deathmasters lol within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Watching a dime city cycle you-tube video on a triumph they modified man called the avons on it death master"s lol. Are the new 19"dia. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Deathmasters lol

Deathmasters lol

Watching a dime city cycle you-tube video on a triumph they modified man called the avons on it death master"s lol. Are the new 19"dia. speedmaster really that bad or a reputation they had many moons ago.
    Weak as wet toilet paper.

1967-CL77, 1975-CL360, 2011-DR650SE

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    He has no idea what he's talking about.
    Post link to vid
    I haven't tried the newest ones but I have used them over the years on numerous bikes
    Avon Speedmaster ribbed have always been a good tyre, tracks well and handles predictably. (also grips pretty well) they were originally designed for 19".wheels
    It may be an old design but it's several thousand times better than the Firestone's people want to fit to 'cafe bikes'
    Last edited by crazypj; 03-10-2014 at 04:08 AM.
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

I'd take any text or dialogue from DCC with a large grain of salt....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YucA View Post
    I'd take any text or dialogue from DCC with a large grain of salt....
    And by grain you mean a solid block weiging a literal ton.

I have used them in the past and they aren't exactly a good wet weather tire compared to say a modern avon roadrunner or metzler lazertec, but deathmaster? fucking clown shoes.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

You mean a salt lick like this:
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

not big enough.

To be fair, I bet dipshits eat stuff like this up. It makes them feel like they have some cool "inside" info and cultivate a culture of uninformed purchasing toward shallow ends.

Also to be fair I am not british, I have no concept of what the limeys did or didn't do in the 60's-80's. They could have called them deathmasters for all I know back then. I don't really think that gives a kid from say omaha nebraska who has never ridden on a set license or legitimatimacy to call them that, but hey I can't say they weren't for sure given that nickname.

In my limited experience they weren't bad. They weren't great either but if you are used to riding on bias ply tires they were better than most out there. I wouldn't trade a set of radials for them but I certainly would prefer them over a set of say Firestone Deluxe champion what have youse, since they are made by a real tire mfg and are speed an load rated for most 60's and 70's motorcycles (not 40's-50's harleys). I hear a lot of people complain about how they "follow" the marks in the road and the ruts and such but anybody who has ridden any bias ply tire motorcycle has that issue. Bias ply just isn't that great.

Which brings me to another rant and some focus to this thread. I think people are generally spoiled in this modern era. They have forgotten things like the quirk of carburated engines, bad tire tech, and worse brake tech. Once a week I hear a complaint about how their SOHC cb750 doesn't idle when cold without a little throttle and choke. No shit. my firend's all original 1966 bell air with 60K miles was the same way. my GTO was also the same way. Carbs for cars had a little tang to raise idle speed so you didn't have to hold the gas down while warming up but when was the last time someone saw a "choke" idiot light? Starting something carbed was a procedure, now with FI you just turn the key. Hell on my ducati I don't even have to hold down the button, just tap it once and the starter will keep cranking until the bike runs. Old tire tech was just that, old tire tech. A new set of avon road riders will bend over a speedmaster and take what it wants, and they are made by the same company out of mostly the same compounds. You can't buy an old tire design and expect it to work like a brand new set of radials.

Don't get me wrong I think the new stuff is wonderful and I wouldn't trade FI or modern tire tech for anything...but I don't complain about the quirks of the old stuff, it is kind of the charm of owning old stuff. I mean if I own a model T I am not about to start bitching about having to hand crank it to start but I feel like some of these new kid complaints are just that bitching a about a model T hand crank.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    not big enough.

To be fair, I bet dipshits eat stuff like this up. It makes them feel like they have some cool "inside" info and cultivate a culture of uninformed purchasing toward shallow ends.

Also to be fair I am not british, I have no concept of what the limeys did or didn't do in the 60's-80's. They could have called them deathmasters for all I know back then. I don't really think that gives a kid from say omaha nebraska who has never ridden on a set license or legitimatimacy to call them that, but hey I can't say they weren't for sure given that nickname.

In my limited experience they weren't bad. They weren't great either but if you are used to riding on bias ply tires they were better than most out there. I wouldn't trade a set of radials for them but I certainly would prefer them over a set of say Firestone Deluxe champion what have youse, since they are made by a real tire mfg and are speed an load rated for most 60's and 70's motorcycles (not 40's-50's harleys). I hear a lot of people complain about how they "follow" the marks in the road and the ruts and such but anybody who has ridden any bias ply tire motorcycle has that issue. Bias ply just isn't that great.

Which brings me to another rant and some focus to this thread. I think people are generally spoiled in this modern era. They have forgotten things like the quirk of carburated engines, bad tire tech, and worse brake tech. Once a week I hear a complaint about how their SOHC cb750 doesn't idle when cold without a little throttle and choke. No shit. my firend's all original 1966 bell air with 60K miles was the same way. my GTO was also the same way. Carbs for cars had a little tang to raise idle speed so you didn't have to hold the gas down while warming up but when was the last time someone saw a "choke" idiot light? Starting something carbed was a procedure, now with FI you just turn the key. Hell on my ducati I don't even have to hold down the button, just tap it once and the starter will keep cranking until the bike runs. Old tire tech was just that, old tire tech. A new set of avon road riders will bend over a speedmaster and take what it wants, and they are made by the same company out of mostly the same compounds. You can't buy an old tire design and expect it to work like a brand new set of radials.

Don't get me wrong I think the new stuff is wonderful and I wouldn't trade FI or modern tire tech for anything...but I don't complain about the quirks of the old stuff, it is kind of the charm of owning old stuff. I mean if I own a model T I am not about to start bitching about having to hand crank it to start but I feel like some of these new kid complaints are just that bitching a about a model T hand crank.
    Never owned an avon tire but have been told they were good. Bought a new vette in 73 my 2nd one of 4 back then. Tires on it were the first radial put on the vettes. Firestone 500 it was called. I pulled up to a light car is not a week old. beside me are two girls in a ford capri. I start showing off with the now weak as wet toilet paper 454 , 4 speed. Going fast then backing off. Im now coming up fast on the back of a car in the right lane doing the 45 he was supposed to do. The speedo was saying 110 when I went into the left lane then quikly whipped it back in the right lane. Its now sliding sideways, then backwards then facing forward, kept it in the road. Less then 6 months later i hear on the news, Firestone 500 being recalled. Never owned a firestone since then. The three cars I owned before that manual steering my first power steering car one week driving it.
    Last edited by JM360; 03-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.
    Weak as wet toilet paper.

1967-CL77, 1975-CL360, 2011-DR650SE

yeah but I bet every car you own now has a radial tire on it. And your daily driver can probably run circles around that corvette. In fact there are SUVs and station wagons now that come close to the mythical 1g on the skid pad which was unheard of for performance cars 30 years ago. That's progress.

you wouldn't get into that 73 vette now and expect it to operate like a brand new honda civic. but some of these cafe kid's that is their expectation - their cb750 needs to start and work like it is a brand new CBR with break in miles on it.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by JM360 View Post
    Never owned an avon tire but have been told they were good. Bought a new vette in 73 my 2nd one of 4 back then. Tires on it were the first radial put on the vettes. Firestone 500 it was called. I pulled up to a light car is not a week old. beside me are two girls in a ford capri. I start showing off with the now weak as wet toilet paper 454 , 4 speed. Going fast then backing off. Im now coming up fast on the back of a car in the right lane doing the 45 he was supposed to do. The speedo was saying 110 when I went into the left lane then quikly whipped it back in the right lane. Its now sliding sideways, then backwards then facing forward, kept it in the road. Less then 6 months later i hear on the news, Firestone 500 being recalled. Never owned a firestone since then. The three cars I owned before that manual steering my first power steering car one week driving it.
    And this was somehow the tires fault, really?
    TCed likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Speedmasters were the shits back then. The only thing better was a set of Dunlop racing tires. Radials, soft compounds etc. hadn't come along yet but that doesn't mean that Speedmasters were crap. Far from it. Tires along with everything else have come a long ways since then. Dime City should change their name to Dumb Shitty Cycles.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links