Dealing with rusty exhaust pipes - Page 2
Close

Dealing with rusty exhaust pipes

This is a discussion on Dealing with rusty exhaust pipes within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by akh Without being completely sure about the type of metal they're made of, do you think the rust can be removed using ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    Without being completely sure about the type of metal they're made of, do you think the rust can be removed using emery cloth strips or possibly a wire brush? I don't really want to spend money on new pipes or ceramic coating (not on this bike at least) so how about the high temperature paint option? Is it durable enough and what is required before painting? Any recommendations for paint, how high a temperature resistance?
    You can use sandpaper or emory down to about 800-1000 before polishing them out. I heard mention of chrome, you're pipes are not chrome plated are they? If they are and that pitting is through the chrome then you're pretty screwed on fixing it easily. More often than not, in my experience, high temp paints aren't very durable.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

akh
    Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    You can use sandpaper or emory down to about 800-1000 before polishing them out. I heard mention of chrome, you're pipes are not chrome plated are they? If they are and that pitting is through the chrome then you're pretty screwed on fixing it easily. More often than not, in my experience, high temp paints aren't very durable.
    800-1000? What is that in regular (european?) grit? 80-100?

I'm pretty sure they are not chrome plated, but yes chrome plated carbon steel was mentioned by DesmoDog.
    Both the muffler and the pipes are aftermarket parts that the previous owner put on. I'm really sure the muffler is chrome plated and I supposed it would be affected in a similar way if the pipes were also chrome plated. I might be wrong though.

No one really says anything about chemical methods, how about for instance oxalic acid or something like that, as mentioned here: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/techn...ng-rust-2.html, or is it only on chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by akh View Post
    800-1000? What is that in regular (european?) grit? 80-100?

I'm pretty sure they are not chrome plated, but yes chrome plated carbon steel was mentioned by DesmoDog.
    Both the muffler and the pipes are aftermarket parts that the previous owner put on. I'm really sure the muffler is chrome plated and I supposed it would be affected in a similar way if the pipes were also chrome plated. I might be wrong though.

No one really says anything about chemical methods, how about for instance oxalic acid or something like that, as mentioned here: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/techn...ng-rust-2.html, or is it only on chrome?
    Not 80-100, you'll never polish out the scratch marks left from that aggressive sand paper. Wire brush the heavy oxidation off and then sand with fine sandpaper till smooth and them polish the rest out.
    Polished carbon steel pipes would rust within minutes of polishing, no one does that.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you promise not to laugh, a few coats of Mop & Glo on steel pipes prevents rust. It gets a faint golden tint after a few heat cycles, but it really works. A trick used by the 2T guys with raw steel chambers. No, really, stop laughing ! It is one of legendary Dave Friest tried and true tricks/

akh
    I have sanded a bit with some 320 grit sandpaper which I think is actually emery on paper. It's brownish wet/dry sandpaper in sheets, I haven't been able to find emery cloth strips anywhere around here (Copenhagen).

I haven't worked much on it due to lack of time and I think I will get some brush for a power drill to speed things up before finishing off with the sanding. It seems to be working okay though, the rust layer from before is mostly flat now, with a few indents.

Do you think this will rust quickly if left unpainted after polishing and applying some chrome polish?

Name:  8_small.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  7_small.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  183.5 KB
    Last edited by akh; 04-23-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Yes it will rust. The old rust has pitted the surface so there isn't going to be much you can do to make it really shine for any period. I would high temp paint them, ceramic coat them or wrap them to make them cosmetically more pleasing. But as a chrome shiny pipe they are done.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

akh
    Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Yes it will rust. The old rust has pitted the surface so there isn't going to be much you can do to make it really shine for any period. I would high temp paint them, ceramic coat them or wrap them to make them cosmetically more pleasing. But as a chrome shiny pipe they are done.
    Okay, how clear should it be before painting or wrapping? Does wrapping create issues with trapped water? Otherwise I'm thinking that wrapping might look better for longer than the high temp paint, though I'm not sure if it will look weird on the mostly standard CB400N that they belong to.

Those pipes are far enough gone that I wouldn't worry about what the wrap will do. I would high temp paint them to help seal them from rust, wrap them and silicone seal them according to the directions.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

but wrap will make them disappear (rust away totally) faster. the 800 grit mentioned earlier is exactly same rating in europe and us. Its just very fine - you can find paper up to at least 1200 - its very very fine and about polishing, not about removing material in big amounts.
    use heat resistant spray paint. Highest rated decent brand you can find. It will work okay. Don't wrap it.
    If you can sand blast it then do it but don't if its not handy for you. They will never bee pretty as new but you can get decent service life out of them with the paint.

above are my personal opinions for keeping the bike on the road - not for show or selling the bike. If you are just trying to sell it wrap could work (still paint 1st). One reason to avoid bikes with wrap...
    -

Give them a few coats of heat resistant paint and lay it on a little heavier around the rough area. When its fully dried, sand back lightly with some 800 grit wet and dry paper as the paint will fill some of the pit-marks. Re-apply more paint in light coats and you should have a smoother looking finish.

Wont ever be 100% by doing this, but the result will be better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links