Statistic helmet - Page 2
Close

Statistic helmet

This is a discussion on Statistic helmet within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by o1marc Again, none of those numbers mean a damn thing. Impact from what? I would say most impacts on motorcycle helmets is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Statistic helmet

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Again, none of those numbers mean a damn thing. Impact from what? I would say most impacts on motorcycle helmets is from them falling off the bike and would most likely land top down, but those numbers suggest that is the least likely place of impact. The 19.4% is totally out of line with the rest of the numbers on the helmet. It's all BS.
    I suspect this is data from insurance actuary data based on reported accidents, 19.4 zone might occur where you have a biker that plows into the car that is making the left hand turn into the bikers path which is common in the area where I live.

Best recollection I have hit the 15.2, 10.1, 4.4, 6.4 6.5, .02, 8.2 zones over the years. The 15 .2 and 4.4 happened moments after a 115mph. tank slapper. 8.2 and 6.5 was being rear ended and thrown by an extended dodge van. 4.4, 10.1 was a slow speed low side due to a left turner and very poor traction available at the initial braking zone. Don't remember where the .02 came from but it could have happened when I was taken out on the 101 north of SF after I had my front end clipped by an erratic lane changer in rush hour traffic.

you are such a skeptic. and you are the worst kind of skeptic, one that does no research.

here is the original report from which those numbers come, It took me literally 30 seconds to find:

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/hic...MC_JTrauma.pdf

you have to read the whole report but basically the percentages are how often that segment was impacted in the sample size of collisions they studied.

But again in being a skeptic you miss the point of the helmet in the first place which is to raise awareness of how effective a full face is over other types of helmets.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Okay, so my question is, Did Icon make the most impacted areas of the helmet stronger or just making us realize that a full face helmet is safer, DUH.
    By definition I am a skeptic and not always wrong because of it.
    Last edited by o1marc; 04-26-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Regardless, any awareness of the benefits of a full face helmets is good safety PR.
    It may be a no brainer for us, however crappy 3/4 helmets are "cool" and the kids don't really understand....

remember this PSA ? Open faced surgery | Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos

If you could teach a Hipster anything he wouldn't be a Hipster. Look at any Hipster build and see how many unsafe mods they do to it. They obviously care less about safety than function. When it comes to safety equipment I think every new rider should Google Images "Motorcycle Road Rash" and see what happens when you buck the odds.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Regardless, any awareness of the benefits of a full face helmets is good safety PR.

I agree, but you can lead a horse to water.....
    How often do you hear: "But I ride really safely." As though that's all it takes to keep from getting hurt.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I met a guy who didn't wear a helmet when he rode because "without a helmet, I ride a lot safer". A special kind of stupid, that one. The last time I heard about him he had just run into a riding buddy. Run into as in they made contact in a turn and both went down. The rumor they had just taken the time to smoke a bowl a few minutes earlier had NOTHING to do with it I'm sure. What sucks is they totaled a Ducati F1 in the incident. Bastards.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    I met a guy who didn't wear a helmet when he rode because "without a helmet, I ride a lot safer". A special kind of stupid, that one. The last time I heard about him he had just run into a riding buddy. Run into as in they made contact in a turn and both went down. The rumor they had just taken the time to smoke a bowl a few minutes earlier had NOTHING to do with it I'm sure. What sucks is they totaled a Ducati F1 in the incident. Bastards.
    x's 2 on "Bastards" I'm still laughing at his comment of why he doesn't ride with a helmet.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

In my state, we have no helmet law at all, so the conversations are even more extreme. ( edit: than in Georgia )

DOT approves less than safe helmets, don't they? The biker's rights guys would throw a total shit fit if full face helmets became a DOT minimum.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links