pretend build for daughter.
Close

This is a discussion on pretend build for daughter. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Okay so I thought this would be a good way to help my daughter several school subjects at one time. The long and short I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gs1327

Thread: pretend build for daughter.

Okay so I thought this would be a good way to help my daughter several school subjects at one time. The long and short I had her set a total budget. I think she was shooting for the moon with her made up budget.

What is a good budget to do a garage build?

Also does this sound like a crazy idea to begin with?

doing projects with your kids is always a good idea. The one caveat is make sure research is a big part of it and let the kid do research too. The best skill that can come out of this is goal setting, budgeting, scheduling, and project planning.

I don't know what you mean by a garage build? are you building a garage. Unless you are a shop or a hipster then everything is built in a garage (hipsters build in their houses, and shops well.. you know).

So budget. Well that all depends on what you want and how much work you want to do. Also the experience level of the person going into it. Remember you never save money the more dilapated a bike is and a free bike is the most expensive thing in the world. With that in mind I would set the budget at $1500 to $2k for a clean, well maintained, older japanese twin cylinder. You want something running, registered, and currently ridden with as few issues as possible. You buy all the PO's parts at a discount and the labor is free so the more of it you can get the better off you are. It is an old bike so you will never be out of projects to do, but really you are going to want to cut right to the modifying and not annoying tasks like fixing holes in the cases made by an errant con rod.

The other thing you want is a bike with a decent aftermarket. Avoid things like CM/CB400T hawks and similar because while they are great beginner bikes they have aftermarket and are a pain in the ass to modify (I have yet to see a "custom" done right on one and I doubt I ever will). While cx500s sound popular they have a lot of hidden issues that if left unattended require a full rebuild. Ideally you want something like a cb/cl350, cb/cj/cl360, cb450, cb500T, GS450, t500 (if you like two strokes), Ironhead harleys, xs650s.

As far as a custom budget, that depends on how wild you want to get. You can easily spend $3K on the right parts if you are replacing the tank and seat with new parts. Honestly I would set aside another $1500 to $2K for mods. This will be financed over time so you don't need to have it all at once and you can break it up based on tasks (example: cb350 rearsets budget $350).

hope this helps.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Doing as much as I could do in my own garage, not a shop if it could be avoided.

My hope is that maybe a different teaching method will help her with the trouble subjects, eventually I would love to do a build with her. There is plenty of time for that as she is 10.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by geneglenn View Post
    Doing as much as I could do in my own garage, not a shop if it could be avoided.

My hope is that maybe a different teaching method will help her with the trouble subjects, eventually I would love to do a build with her. There is plenty of time for that as she is 10.
    There is NOT plenty of time. She's already 10.
    ask any old codger on this forum-from 10 to gone takes no time at all.
    BigAl8295 likes this.

I meant to say the cm400t has NO Aftermarket.

have to be honest, if your kid is 10, do a bicycle project with her instead. It will take like a month and cost thousands less. Esp if you do something like restore an old 70's chopper bike or mod one into a model they never made. Plus plenty of lowrider bike kits out there and she'd be the envy of the playground and she can use it right away.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Bravo-Zulu! I used to like doing this sort of stuff with my kids, it isn't a crazy idea at all! The only trouble is that I doubt that my kids really learned anything...yes I am a bit of a pessimist, but on the brighter side it was a good way to spend some time with them. Most of these school projects have a "sky's the limit" budget, kind of unrealistic for a kid that is supposed to take something away from this effort...my kids teachers would let them have a 'pretend income' that was something in the realm of six figures...on their first job!
    Anyhow, maybe a bike that's easy to start with like a Honda 350...she can research parts etc on line...as far as budget goes, if the objective you were looking at was buying a scruffy, poorly running 'pretend bike' and just turning it into something in the way of a reliable daily driver and she was going to do all the 'pretend work' herself...start of with say something like $2000.00 and see where it goes from there. If it goes over budget, or she has to cut corners to stay on track, it can teach your girl something about real life.
    Have fun! Who knows, maybe some day you will be helping her do the real thing!
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

Want them to do frivolous research?...but will teach them how to cross reference and be detail oriented?

Make the kid cross reference Honda part numbers for the same part...I.E. my 1968 CL175 sloper uses the same fork tubes as later model 175 verticals etc.

That can teach a lesson...

Larry -
    Larry

do find something she can ride... its the reward at the end of the line..
    find a mini trail or whats mentioned above , a real bicycle...
    did this with my little brother , gave him pride in ownership... became the neighborhood's bike tech for a few years too... (having a toolkit became a good source of pride for him too..)

many stingrays can be found cheap at goodwill , hospice or youth ranch donation centers..
    will teach her alot about how stuff is built ,taken care of and refinished..this besides the school aspect of it.
    Last edited by Tonnystark; 04-28-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Yep, trail bike is the way to go, something simple and robust that wont matter that she drops it or clips the fence with it typically much lighter as well. My wife is about to get her bike licence and is quite a few years older than your daughter and we are building an early XT250, not stock as she doesn't go much on trail bikes stock, but still simple and reliable and something I would ride a well. Basically a trail bike with road orientated tyres, a 12v conversion and smartened up enough to be "cool".

Cheers
    Steve

I know it is a little sexist but not a bad place to start:

The Boy Mechanic: Best Projects from the Classic Popular Mechanics Series (Dover Children's Activity Books): Popular Mechanics: 9780486452272: Amazon.com: Books

I once found a 1950's copy of this book that was completely amazing, but I lost it. Had way more interesting projects.

considering ho close you are you may want to consider a membership to the columbus idea foundry, or at least attend some of their classes with her. It's a little steep at $35 a month but if you are a hard core project person having their tools at your disposal is a godsend.

columbusideafoundry
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links