Budget touring bike $3000 budget what would you get? - Page 2
Close

Budget touring bike $3000 budget what would you get?

This is a discussion on Budget touring bike $3000 budget what would you get? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; You can find some deals on older goldwings for less than your budget. What it comes down to is how good condition for what ever ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    You can find some deals on older goldwings for less than your budget. What it comes down to is how good condition for what ever you buy. I've seen some killer deals on Kawaski Concourse. You could also go higher up the food chain and buy a harley bagger - do your run - and sell it for something close to what you paid for it. If your planning to resell the bike when your done then I'd look up the food chain a little, if your planning to keep it then you have to work out a different plan. If your planning to sell after the trip - I'd finance the bike, make a few payments then liquidate it when you get back.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

-

It's interesting to see how widely the opinions on what a "touring" bike is.

-Deek

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveThumpers View Post
    It's interesting to see how widely the opinions on what a "touring" bike is.

-Deek
    This is why I fielded the question, I know I want decent wind protection and due to my size may not want a full touring bike. I like the buy up and sell option that may be the safest option to help lower risk of breakdown. Yhe Vstorm might be a good option, VFR800 might be nice but I hardly have seen any for sale here. I have never ridden anything Harley except for my Lemon Red CR, hoping I have gotten all the bugs out of that one.

Condition: I want the bike to make it in one piece and I want to still have an ass left + be able to walk when I get back.

Hmm Bandit I would have to go and sit on one I have heard the ZReX elsewhere. My biggest push is about 800 miles of road to St Louis that I just want to kill off after that things would go more leisurely.
    Last edited by nic579; 05-19-2014 at 03:27 PM.

VFR 750's tend to fry reg/rec's at an alarming rate. I don't know if the 800 was improved in that respect. That is the only reason I'd hesitate on those.

Bandit 1200's are good as well. V-Strom 1000? I've heard this joke from many - "The best advertisement to buy a V-Strom 650 is the V-Strom 1000". I've only ridden a 'Strom 1000 one time, but it seems to be a pleasant vehicle. Never had anyone elaborate on why the 1000 was so reviled. Envious 650 owners, maybe.

Stick with the '94 and up Connies. Wider wheels, bigger and better brakes than the '93 and below Connies.
    I believe we have run out of trolls.

I'm a fan of the V-strom myself. They are a bit heavy for honest-to-goodness trail riding but with the right dual-sport tires they're very capable on dirt paths/gravel and your general road-less-traveled.

-Deek

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Honda VFR800i (1998-2001) Motorbike Review | MCN

Mentions the rectifier problem, also a very easy fix. Would still be my pick
    Ignorance Is Bliss

I'm a big fan of these as a good long distance bike:

But I don't think you got them in the US in 900 guise, so carry on.
    Last edited by hillsy; 05-19-2014 at 06:10 PM.

bj
    V-Strom is a great bike but you'll have a hard time finding a good under under $3k. I'd go first-gen Coucours. I've owned both and for that money, the Connie can't be beat.

V-Strom 100s (early ones, anyway) apparently had a habit of sucking the intake boots together. At least that's what I've been told by a friend who sold his. Bandit? Boring bike with a pretty hairy pair--- might be just the thing for a tourer. Concours? Sounds even more boring to me, even if you find one for 3 grand. What kind of touring do you want to do? If you're into laid-back, feet up touring, you can probably find a Honda Shadow, or Kawi Vulcan , Suzi Intruder, or something--- put a bag on the seat for a backrest and try to stay awake. Something that's interesting to ride will take more planning for touring comfortably. I'd vote for the Bandit...
    Jim

'03 Moto Guzzi California
    '81 KZ440B-1
    '82 KZ750M-1
    Couple of '82 Virago XV920s (Damned things just seem to accumulate!), and an '81 Honda CX500. So far...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links