Tips to building a Motorcycle bench..
Close

This is a discussion on Tips to building a Motorcycle bench.. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Building a walk around motorcycle bench from wood and wondering if there is anything else I could add now while building to cover most possibilitys.. ...

Building a walk around motorcycle bench from wood and wondering if there is anything else I could add now while building to cover most possibilitys..

1 . eyelets for cinch straps ( front and rear all sides)
    2. padded j hook for bikes with center stand (bottom is open shelf so thinking to add a hook and big wing nut thru the top)
    3. removeable support pole up front to help stabilize the bike from the top.
    4. a removable front tire clamp
    5. lockable caster wheels
    6. removeable outriggers to stablize the whole unit

... Guess I am overdoing it a bit 'cause I really don't want to dump one off a bench ...

What would you use to protect the wooden top or should I just leave it natural ??

Thanks
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Could get fancy and turn it into a lift... http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...ly%20plans.pdf

I'd find a coupon and buy a Harbor Freight lift.

A while back there was a thread I posted pics/instructions of a DIY wood bench. I've never built one but I think maybe Texy has. If you can't find the thread the pics are somewhere in my photobucket account. Let me know I can look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Have the wood frame cut already so those plans are unneeded, but thanks ..
    if you can find those plans or thread please repost as they may help others in their building efforts..

I did an advanced search under wood ,bench, and stand without luck in finding the thread..did see your wall mounted bench .. nice!
    Last edited by Tonnystark; 05-23-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

I put super strut rails down each side of mine so that tie downs could move. Turned out to add a lot of functionality as the adapter doohickeys made by super strut are the same size/thread as the mill drill clamping system from Northern Tools. I already had the clamps.

Grizzly 3400-3501 Clamping Kit for 1/2-Inch T-slots, 58-Piece - Power Tool Accessories - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Thomas & Betts ZA1200HS6 Superstrut: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Channel Cone Nut, Nylon, 3/8 In, Gold, PK5: Home Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by cseger1 View Post
    I put super strut rails down each side of mine so that tie downs could move. Turned out to add a lot of functionality as the adapter doohickeys made by super strut are the same size/thread as the mill drill clamping system from Northern Tools. I already had the clamps.

Grizzly 3400-3501 Clamping Kit for 1/2-Inch T-slots, 58-Piece - Power Tool Accessories - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Thomas & Betts ZA1200HS6 Superstrut: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Channel Cone Nut, Nylon, 3/8 In, Gold, PK5: Home Improvement
    very cool idea to have them moveable!!

I bought harbor freight boltable folding loop eyes figuring to put 7 on each long side and 2 on the short's..
    got to love those extra 25 % off coupons !! had to go a bunch of times but got what I needed!!
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

if you haven't settled on your final design yet, i made one of these Euro Spares - Bike Stand Plans with about 15cm cut off the bottom and then mounted on locking castor wheels, it's really good. the bike is stable so i would say they have the dimensions right even if you don't want the ramp feature, that works really well. it takes about 1 1/2 sheets of formply and about 5 metres of 2x4's, 4 door hinges and 4 castor wheels, you can turn the bottom into a storage for power tools and spare wheels etc,

I wish I had made one before starting my build.... duh

Quote Originally Posted by liam View Post
    if you haven't settled on your final design yet, i made one of these Euro Spares - Bike Stand Plans with about 15cm cut off the bottom and then mounted on locking castor wheels, it's really good. the bike is stable so i would say they have the dimensions right even if you don't want the ramp feature, that works really well. it takes about 1 1/2 sheets of formply and about 5 metres of 2x4's, 4 door hinges and 4 castor wheels, you can turn the bottom into a storage for power tools and spare wheels etc,
    mine is based on those dimentions but with 28 inch wide feet ... built as a solid box with a lower shelf, using tounge and groove 2x4's ,simpson strong ties and a ply top and shelf.. I also upgraded to using 6 / 275 lb solid plastic casters as was told soft poly wheels may flatten out with time ..Once to the point of actual assembly , I will post pictures ...
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Sponsored Links