Is my brand new bike "Disposeable"? Help please Madass 125
Close

Is my brand new bike "Disposeable"? Help please Madass 125

This is a discussion on Is my brand new bike "Disposeable"? Help please Madass 125 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Bought yesterday with 51 KM on it. Had a stuck throttle issue I figured was an easy fix. Call around today to find out no ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry Is my brand new bike "Disposeable"? Help please Madass 125

Bought yesterday with 51 KM on it. Had a stuck throttle issue I figured was an easy fix. Call around today to find out no one will work on it, except this one guy who quite clearly is the only game in town or person willing to work on these. He was super sketchy and is not getting my business. Want to fix myself. Simple carb issue from sitting around since purchased in 2012/manufactured 2010. The bushings inside the handlebar/throttle assembly were also deformed and misshapen.
    Looking for instructions and good info on working with the carb and throttle linkage. This stuff is omitted from owners manual and steers you to a madass dealer, which don't exist anymore.
    The Thread title stems from one of the phone calls I made where a mechanic who would not touch it called it a disposeable bike.
    Any truth to that?

Tried the Madass Army website, but it seems as defunct as the madass Brand. Could not register because the security question involves identifying the right side controls of the bike, which I did properly according to the manual and visible confirmation on the bike. Might be a glitch, but i cant register.

Super bummed that a German bike that seemed like a solid investment turned out to be cheap Chinese crap that no one will stand behind, but I think there's still some value in the frame at least and I do want to get that motor running and burn and learn on it before replacing with a quality motor after I get as much use out of the Lyfan motor as possible.
    Cheers

If it's such a simple fix why are you trying to track down a pro to fix it? A dirty gummy carb, broken carb linkage or a dysfunctional throttle housing is not a massive mechanical drama.

There must be plenty of used parts on the UK or German eBay.

Relax a bit.

Lyfan probably make half a million motors a year, so they can't be that bad. It's just a Honda copy from the sixties, so how bad can it really be?

It's not like you bought a Hyosung dragged from a lake and expected a barely used Ducati Panigale.

found a Craigslist mechanic, so not as bummed. Still trying to talk about this bike. Drop yer opinion on it. Im interested to hear what people think about it and my situation.
    Why is nothing made to last anymore? Haha

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If bikes could be rebuilt forever and run forever, like a Volkswagen Bug or a Harley Panhead, there would not be any great new vehicles that you can go buy today, or a Motorcycle manufacturing industry. Things have to wear out, and run away and die. No one who buys a new Sachs Madass expects it to be in the family for three generations like a 1968 Rolls-Royce.

I'd ride a Sachs 125 around town, no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    If it's such a simple fix why are you trying to track down a pro to fix it? A dirty gummy carb, broken carb linkage or a dysfunctional throttle housing is not a massive mechanical drama.

There must be plenty of used parts on the UK or German eBay.

Relax a bit.

Lyfan probably make half a million motors a year, so they can't be that bad. It's just a Honda copy from the sixties, so how bad can it really be?

It's not like you bought a Hyosung dragged from a lake and expected a barely used Ducati Panigale.
    I said I was bummed, not panicked. Haha. Just looking for info. I plan to look at it and fixing myself would be ideal.
    I was just regurgitating the attitude spat at me by big dealers and a comment from an individual 'Harley Only Mechanic". Trying to see if he's just prejudiced against the brand and talking nonsense or if everyone feels the same.
    Looking for info and people with some helpful insight, maybe a link. Normal forum stuff. Thanks for encouragement on it being a potentially simple fix. Fingers crossed and still searching. Maybe I'll run across someone with insight on the Madass Army website.

they used to say the japanese bikes in general were disposable because they were cheaper to replace than fix, we see now how that worked out.

I think part of the problem in getting solutions to your issue is that you may not be motorcycle mechanically inclined enough to adapt to owning an orphan. It isn't a knock on you personally, but there are "generic parts" and industry standards out there that you can work a solution.

for example: chances are your handlebars are 7/8ths inch diameter (measure them). Which means any generic racing throttle for a 7/8th bar might work. But even easier than that the inside tube is a plastic tube and looks to be the same as most other plastic throttle tubes used on other bikes. I am not sure what you mean by "bushings" in the throttle assembly since by the look of it it is just a plastic tube inside a metal housing that rotates around the bar. Maybe pics of the issue would help.

replacement tubes can be found here:
    Fast Trails Performance - Sachs Madass

Since you now own an orphan, I think your first step is going to be securing a service manual. This is not an owners manual, but an actual service manual used by the techs to repair the bike (what, did you think they just memorized all that knowledge?). I did some quick searching and found this one but it is unreadable (pics are still helpful):
    http://www.cobrasales.com/docs/MadAs...e%20Manual.pdf

so they are out there at least.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I respectfully whole heartedly disagree. I used to be a consumerist and have changed. But throwing stuff away just to get new toys like thats the way it's supposed to be is just something your tought and or conditioned to live with. More like an affliction IMHO. Your drinking the industrialist kool aid I think. Like most of the world. Thats why we get crap for products and an endless cycle of waste. Sad.

If it's any consolation, many Harley-only mechanic guys have brain injury, past drug habits, or years in prison that haunt them. They are not all like that, and some are genuine people, but the stereotype is often cookie-cutter correct. It's often a bit sad, when young they were going to take on The World, and reality comes along and hits them in the head like a sledge hammer.

Don't expect them to take your little Sachs too seriously, they have bigger FLH's to fry. They learn to deal with all manner of Harley riding meat-axe meatheads, so they can become coarse and a bit gruff.

Thank you very much. Helps a lot. I anticipate being able to figure it out with maybe a little hand holding. I have built and maintained Nitro Powered RC cars with no problem in the past. That stuff will test your fine motor skills and patience far more than a bike. Just lacking knowledge. Just more comfy working with people not totally uninitiated. Trying to limit my mistakes

"an endless cycle of waste" and consuming is what has raised the wealth and standard of living worldwide constantly for about one-hundred and fifty years. Solid state economic systems like the Middle Ages didn't do anyone any favours. I like the idea of driving a '67 VW bus, growing beans to survive and living like a wolverine. I like the notion of it, but not having to live the reality of it.

Consuming is not a crime. It's pretty damn good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links