Hello from San Francisco - Page 2
Close

Hello from San Francisco

This is a discussion on Hello from San Francisco within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by TrialsRider I have a question about riding in San Francisco ?:I can you get really big air riding up and down those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I have a question about riding in San Francisco ?:I
    can you get really big air riding up and down those steep hills like in the movies, or would the local cops frown on something like that ?
    Pastrana gave it a shot! Too Extreme for the X Games / Motorcyclist loses $10,000 for landing in bay - SFGate

this is closer to what I had in mind :

…oops, I just noticed the stop sign, never mind, looks highly illegal lol and fun.

wonder what would it cost to rent a road like that for a little while
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-16-2014 at 09:06 PM.

"Sounds like you have a grudge against grads with CAD skills though. Who do you think designed all the shit you use everyday? Some grads with cad skills can build, some can't."

It's just all the mouse fondling, and credentialisation, often does not lead to products that relate to real use, in the real world. I've known personally guys who have basically designed the modern sportbike platform, and changed dirt bike chassis technology with pencils, and chalk outlines on a wall.

Insight into real dynamics, and having that reflected back from real use into better designs, is not just notions on a big monitor.

I've got a 10K CAD designed bicycle that I use very day, but that is race proven by the best pros in the World, not given aesthetic accolades in a design magazine.

Designing motorcycles that work well, is different than designing a best-selling IKEA chair. When "designers" have free reign, they often produce right junk.

For example: The Honda NR500. It had so many "new designer ideas" and "new approaches" , it was basically a massive multi-million dollar embarrassment, to the point that Honda threw 90% of it away and got some guy in a shed to made the horror half work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Haha, that's epic. Come over and borrow my dirt bike for the day and go flying.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    76 CB750F, 72 CB350, 98 Ducati M600, 06 KTM 450 EXC, 96 Honda XR650L, 61 Vespa 152L2

Well if you are an original CAD designer dirt bike legend, go do a individual thread on it.

You contribution to dirt bike design IS? Patent #no's ?

Let me guess, you have a shiny new ICON jacket, and are working on a ground-breaking battery bike, that will change the two-wheeled World, as we know it.

Where can I see your chair design, online? Waiter, waiter!

Reality, check: You have proven you own lack of understanding motorcycle dynamics, by dreaming of building a "café droopy bar" GoldWing and then compounding the issue of competence by boosting your "CAD design skills" .The implementation of the ideas on a keyboard, is bound up with dealing with diverse realities, and not shuffling mere notions on a VDU.

-insert something about "own petard". :
    Last edited by Witworth; 06-17-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    "Sounds like you have a grudge against grads with CAD skills though. Who do you think designed all the shit you use everyday? Some grads with cad skills can build, some can't."

It's just all the mouse fondling, and credentialisation, often does not lead to products that relate to real use, in the real world. I've known personally guys who have basically designed the modern sportbike platform, and changed dirt bike chassis technology with pencils, and chalk outlines on a wall.

Insight into real dynamics, and having that reflected back from real use into better designs, is not just notions on a big monitor.

I've got a 10K CAD designed bicycle that I use very day, but that is race proven by the best pros in the World, not given aesthetic accolades in a design magazine.

Designing motorcycles that work well, is different than designing a best-selling IKEA chair. When "designers" have free reign, they often produce right junk.

For example: The Honda NR500. It had so many "new designer ideas" and "new approaches" , it was basically a massive multi-million dollar embarrassment, to the point that Honda threw 90% of it away and got some guy in a shed to made the horror half work.
    I agree with the notion that there is no substitute for real world hands on testing and developing for any product (i think that's what you're saying). In my experience the better engineers and designer tend to be those that get their hands dirty for sure. Many grads emerge with the idea that they can design anything because they know a bit of SolidWorks. Luckily for us, in the field of motorcycle design, natural selection will help us out as they proudly speed to a wobbly death on their test ride.

However, there are other potential explanations for the crapness of products, such as the NR500 (which i know nothing about so i take your word that it's balls!). You'll know that designers and engineers are frequently pushed like crazy by marketing people to reinvent, overcomplicate or twist their ideas as they need fresh fodder to talk about each year. No idea if that's what happened on the NR500 or if they just happened to have crap designers on that project. Who knows, there are many people involved in bringing a new product to market and every one of them has a chance to ruin a good idea.

My point? As with any profession there are good and bad eggs. Don't paint every professional designer or engineer (grad or old school) with the same brush and don't always blame them for poor products.

Anyway, enough of all this. Lets get back to building bikes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    76 CB750F, 72 CB350, 98 Ducati M600, 06 KTM 450 EXC, 96 Honda XR650L, 61 Vespa 152L2

Agreed, truce. (but check the Twinkies for cyanide!, hint: It's very sweet- whoops: TOO LATE).

The original NR500 truly was balls. It's perplexing that I can't find any images of it at all on the net, It's like Honda has paid Billy Gates to prevent it's transmission across international borders.

The NS500 with the tank under the motor and the pipes on top, was another total shocker from the Gyro Gearloose section of Honda Racing. It was like it was designed for the start to murder the racer and drive the mechanics to suicide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links