New woods weapon
Close

New woods weapon

This is a discussion on New woods weapon within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Picked this up today, 2002 200MXC; Pro Circuit pipe, FMF silencer, other than that I think the motor's stock. Radiator braces, skid plate, shark fin, ...

New woods weapon

Picked this up today, 2002 200MXC;

Pro Circuit pipe, FMF silencer, other than that I think the motor's stock.

Radiator braces, skid plate, shark fin, big tank,

Scotts triple clamps, WER damper, Gold Valves in the forks.

Overall it's a lot cleaner than my 03 and hasn't been ran into by a full-size Chevy truck.

Ride tomorrow.

Nice. New tires too?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Cool. I can't wait to send my KX250 top end to Eric Gorr so he can turn it into a 295cc tractor instead of a 250cc MX powerhouse.
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys.

Not new tires but decent Pirelli Scorpions. He also gave me three used Michelin S12 rears. The one is like brand brand new but he must have hit something and knocked a couple knobs off. Way good enough for me.

Rode yesterday. The bike was the PO's race bike for a long time before that it was his brother's race bike. They're both significantly faster than me so I'm not changing anything on the bike setup wise until I can see what I can learn. Can't believe how soft it's suspended. I'm quite a bit taller, heavier than the PO, but even allowing for that it still moves way more than I'm used to. Better balanced front to rear than my 03 as well. Made that endurocross section that I posted pics of a while back so easy. On my second pass through it I was hitting faster on this bike than I ever had on my 03. Weird, because my 03 has Enduro Engineering suspension that I thought was awesome.

I killed it a few times with the rear brake. KTMs the heim joint on the brake plunger rod and the bearings in the pedal get worn out. So like when you're trail braking or just trying to lightly drag it it's like nothing, nothing, clunk, locked wheel.

These parts are new on my 03 so it graciously gave up it's brake pedal when I got home;

The PO told me he'd replaced the rear caliper because the old one wasn't just quite "right". My experience they either work or not. I'd bet he replaced the caliper over the lever needing serviced.

When I test rode the bike I'm like man this thing has bronco bars on it. Thought well the PO's a little dude maybe he needed them for leverage. In the single track section I ride there are several spots that the bars physically won't fit between the trees. I'm thinking man this guy was good to always be juking between the trees.

Then I take a break, sitting there looking at the bike and it dawns on me, look at the cutout in the number plate in relationship to the handguard mounts;

It doesn't have the bars he ran on it. By the cutouts they're 3" wider than what was on there. They're 2" wider than what's on my 03 and I've been thinking of narrowing them. I like the bend, but don't think I can cut them down that far. That's probably why he stuck them on to get rid of it.

Went down hard once on a rocky descent, clobbered my right knee. It woke me up at 5 a.m., had me wondering if it was really hurt, but I walked it off today. I've never worn knee/elbow guards, but guess going to have to start.

When I picked the bike up the PO asked me if I knew they were notorious for rear wheel bearings going bad. I say yes, I've put two sets in my '03. This stuck with me so the other day on the lift I grabbed the rear wheel and yep, clunk, clunk, it needs wheel bearings. Not terrible, but there's no sense in side-loading the chain, countershaft and brakes over $40 in bearings.

Pop the wheel off and also check the swingarm;

At full drop the swingarm bearings where tight. At ride height a slight amount of play.

Lucky for me one of the last hare scrambles I raced Pivot Works was a contingency sponsor and I got my choice of a bearing set. All that was new on my '03 at the time so I just got the most expensive kit, swingarm bearings. Had to buy the wheel bearings. They've come out with a heavier duty bearing and a seal system that's warrantied for life.

Put it all back together and had this stuff left over;

One of my least favorite motorcycle related jobs.

All my local riding areas are closed due to flooding. Was going to drive 2 1/2 hrs. to an old strip mine to ride today. It's freaking gnarly, but got up and it's raining.

Booooo!

Rain is good for traction and to get rid of the dust but it's got to come at the right time.
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

Sponsored Links