Best Way to put patches on Leather Jackets??
Close

This is a discussion on Best Way to put patches on Leather Jackets?? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I want to put some motorcycle manufacturers patches on my leather Ducati jacket---Jawa and Moto Guzzi, NOT Ace Cafte and Ton Up......good conversation starters and ...

I want to put some motorcycle manufacturers patches on my leather Ducati jacket---Jawa and Moto Guzzi, NOT Ace Cafte and Ton Up......good conversation starters and all. Not an original Ducati jacket, a $60 ebay leather knock off that has served me pretty well, even in a get off. Glad I put that Armour in the shoulders.... Jacket came with some brand patches of stuff I don't have, so I would like to remove those then cover the spaces, and holes, with the new patches.

I know that sewing would be the best way to attach them, but my choices would be to sew right thru the liner, or open up the liner so that I could just sew thru the leather, then resew the liner, which would be way past my skills, and expensive to have done by a tailor.

Has anyone had luck gluing patches to leather jackets? Product and technique advice? I would want a glue that was really permanent and stayed flexible.

Maybe velcro, then if I traded the Guzzi for a Gilera I could just swap them out?? ;-)}

Thanks,
    Jack

I pay professionals to do that kind of stuff. Since Spyder Leatherworks is no longer available, my next jobs will go to Barnacle Bill in Kentucky. He used to work for Lou Sneddon and bout out Lou's Leathers when Lou retired.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

You should talk to an alteration place, near you. I think you would be surprised at how cheap it would be.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yes, an alterations place would be your best bet. What you're describing (separate the liner, sew in the patch, repair the liner) is a half-hour job for an experienced seamstress. You /might/ pay $15? If it were more than that I'd be surprised.

-Deek

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

Jack.
    Heroic Leathers sets up at NHMS for the LRS races or he did the couple times I went last year. He had his machine out patching riders suits and marking alterations. Give him a call. HEROIC Racing Apparel - Racing Suits, Race Gloves, Motorcycle Boots, Street Gear & More
    \"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

You could do the same thing as done by military fliers - sew on Velcro to the leather and patch. That way you can change your patches as deemed necessary.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Also, try a trophy shop. Those places that do letter man jackets for the local high schools.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

If you want to take the time to sew them, you can do it like the Native Americans used to do their beadwork. Go through the patch, then just catch the surface layer of the leather. You can bend the leather and put the needle through across the bend, if that helps. Leather is tough. The thread will go through the little tunnel without having to go through the full thickness, and hold just fine. Practice on a scrap until you get the hang of it.
    Jim

'03 Moto Guzzi California
    '81 KZ440B-1
    '82 KZ750M-1
    Couple of '82 Virago XV920s (Damned things just seem to accumulate!), and an '81 Honda CX500. So far...

Sponsored Links