Just purchased my first Cafe Racer 76 GS400
Close

This is a discussion on Just purchased my first Cafe Racer 76 GS400 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just recently purchased my first (street legal) motorcycle. First cafe racer I have been able to call my own! Got it for what I think ...

Just recently purchased my first (street legal) motorcycle. First cafe racer I have been able to call my own! Got it for what I think is a great price, $1200, from a great guy who was supposedly a motorcycle mechanic. Judging by the 6-7 bikes he had dismantled around his garage I somewhat believed him. Starts right up and runs great. Going to clean it up and do as much detailing as I can while summer is still here and I am still out of school. Let me know if you have any suggestions for this brand of bike or year. This is my first of hopefully many cafe racers!Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 9.32.02 PM.png
Views: 424
Size:  190.3 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 9.31.56 PM.png
Views: 1079
Size:  296.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 9.31.50 PM.png
Views: 2890
Size:  367.7 KB

When are you getting the seat?

Danger, is my business.

Ooo...painted calipers, custom gators, and the handlebars flipped upside down....very nice...you sir got the DELUXE cafe racer model. Even the pod filter option. Sounds like a steal for only 120 bucks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...1200 bucks. Interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    Ooo...painted calipers, custom gators, and the handlebars flipped upside down....very nice...you sir got the DELUXE cafe racer model. Even the pod filter option. Sounds like a steal for only 120 bucks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh...1200 bucks. Interesting.
    They are not flippo bars. They are genuine clubman bars.

Therefore it's now a classic café racer like the ones crusty Brits rode in the murk and mire, to the Ace Café to start a rolling fashion revolution, after fending off the Hun, while singing hearty songs about a stick of Blackpool rock or being a peeping tom up on a ladder.

Danger, is my business.

I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

OK, You got the point, now the other end..
    All the yellow has to go....gold maybe , yellow no...thats a pretty simple fix with black spray can or polish to proper aluminum colors..
    Are the wheels painted? if so inspect these for rust issues that paint could hide them .. (thinking these were at one time chrome , if anodized black ,nice addition..)
    The gaters are prob hiding rusty forks ,so I'd get them off and inspect the tube surfaces..
    The clubmans while cool , are not something to add to a new road riders bike as they alter the bikes handling and rider comfort to a detriment..)
    The seat.. not a good fit on a new riders bike.. way too hard and low...
    The bike may run well with pods , as the seller may have set it up properly, yet there is a reason the o/e units dont come with them for consumer use.. ( if pods were so great for 'THIS' bike's set up, the manf. would have reaped more profit's installing them O/E.)

For 1200.00 a pure stock bike would have been a better purchase for you, But you can easley fix it back if you like..

what I would do now personally to make it a better ride, beside that above:

find the o/e's bars or a flatter style bar.. clip ons would work yet you as a new rider will apreciate taller bar's while learning the street's..
    ( I did read this being your first 'street legal' bike,we'll assume that you have some riding experiance ..)
    get a proper seat with pading , the stocker or padded cafe seat that has the bum stop sewn in.. (These being just looks at street speeds ,but do carry the look over well..)

You do have a good bike style to start a cafe build with ...
    Hang in thru the hazeing and you will learn alot, there are those here that do want you to progress..
    Last edited by Tonnystark; 07-20-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

It's got 59 Club stickers. Definitely a cafe racer.

Sponsored Links