Hello every one
Close

Hello every one

This is a discussion on Hello every one within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello every one it am new to the Cafe Racer world. I been riding for some years now but sport bikes only, from a zx6-zx14 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello every one

Hello every one

Hello every one it am new to the Cafe Racer world. I been riding for some years now but sport bikes only, from a zx6-zx14 and currently I have a zx10. But picked a 1979 XS750 Yamaha this weekend for a $100 and said why not. I was thinking bobber at first but after looking online at cafe bikes I was sold. I got some ideas and looking like I might get my project going. I joined here to get some good advice and learn some new tricks. Sharing my progress as I go along to people share my love for motorcycling.

Welcome! Ask questions, do your best to sort the wheat from the chaff and keep in mind 'Function over form'. It will be very hard to come up with something that performs up to a ZX10, but if you're careful, you will wind up with something that is unique.
    Try not to do anything to the machine that can't easily be undone.
    “And this you can know – fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.”
    John Steinbeck

go back to making it a chopper. you'll be much happier.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Here is an example of what your working with...
    Name:  xs750-3.jpg
Views: 2824
Size:  90.9 KB
    Not horrible looking with my measure...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Do you have the leading axle front forks?

Every time I think of riding a café style XS triple, I have a low dull pain in my gut.

I guess the Yamaha engineers did too. That's why they went on to build XJs and FZs without a trace of triple.

They must be the only bike that makes CX500s feel sporty.

Danger, is my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Every time I think of riding a café style XS triple, I have a low dull pain in my gut.

I guess the Yamaha engineers did too. That's why they went on to build XJs and FZs without a trace of triple.

They must be the only bike that makes CX500s feel sporty.

Danger, is my business.
    So I am guessing you are not a fan of the XS witworth?

That is what my inspiration behind my build Bmartin. That bike right there.
    Last edited by Zxwarrior07; 08-03-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxwarrior07 View Post
    So I am guessing you are not a fan of the XS witworth?
    I don't think anyone is a fan of Yamahas triples. The 850 was a good tourer, and in some ways very German in nature and some ways better than BMWs lower end 800s and 980s, as a tourer. People are only customising them now, because for over two decades they were worth virtually zero bucks. To me a XS750/850 is just a bad XS1100, with a cylinder down. The XS1100 was a horrible to ride battlebus as well: heavy, slow and "loose".

The XS750 shaft is about the worst one fitted to Jap bikes. The excessive torque reaction shaft jacking to the throttle is like a ride at the Carny. Fitting shorter USD forks and jacking up the rear for looks, will make a bad handling bike far worse. Fitting a 17 inch front wheel or the fattest tire on the front or rear will only make things bad, handling wise.

You can make it handle "good enough" with the stock forks and wheels if you have to. It's probably the last old heavy Japper that I'd want to ride fast with clip-ons or clubman bars: it's far too heavy, and the handling is too "dumpy".

But I guess you are after "the look" , regardless of the bikes dynamic abilities. Nobody seems to spend the cash, expertise or effort improving these triple things. An old Honda sohc CB750 is about twice the bike with good shocks and a real perf 4 into 1 exhaust. I don't think I've seen an XS750 made into a café racer that works better than a stock bike. Probably is one out there, but I haven't seen a trace of it.

Geeto says go build a chopper. I think you are, but one with clipons instead of ape hangers.

Danger, is my business.

What is it you ride again Witworth ?:I
    Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    … haven't seen a trace of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links