3d printing and junk - Page 2
Close

3d printing and junk

This is a discussion on 3d printing and junk within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; As someone who is just getting started with casting, I make my patterns the semi old fashioned way. I have a google book copyrighted prior ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As someone who is just getting started with casting, I make my patterns the semi old fashioned way. I have a google book copyrighted prior to WWII that has some handy charts regarding the relief on patterns as well as sprues and risers and vents. Its a lot of manual labor. I am not doing it for a living or even money though, so its okay by me.

FYI, there is a wealth of free information on google books regarding old machine tools, how to run them, how to cast things, how to finish things. I remember casting my first ingot last December. I felt like i had just conquered the world. I used scrap Mitsubishi parts and fire to make something else. I probably grew at least thirty more chest hairs right then and there.
    Last edited by raven; 09-23-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

A buddy of mine wants to get into casting, not exactly sure what he actually wants to cast.
    right now he is just starting to figure out how to melt metal at the garage.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

One of the most challenging things to cast was a saucer, with a tea cup and a spoon inside the cup. Cast that in green sand and your a 'Mister' in the foundry world.

Oh, the joys of working out ingates and risers to get that to work when you've actually mastered the method of moulding one!!!!

I just googled it and someone has posted a how-to guide on foundry101.com. Very disappointing as its supposed to be something you have to work out yourself! Similar to a magician showing how a trick is done, just shouldn't be allowed.
    Last edited by Mark Burton; 09-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

my first pattern is a pedal pad for early ford. round, ribbed like the stock rubber one. Making it for my dad's deuce. I also have a couple of early Hemi bits (ribbed inspection cover for extended bellhousing top). Both super simple patterns. Eventually i wish to build my own 500cc board track/speedway type motor using a 94mmx74mm VW cylinder, a set of 74mm kawasaki big pin ski motor crank throws (22mm wristpin is shared between VW piston and kawasaki rod...) and my own head design. Probably a narrow angle four valve design that mimics modern engines, but with exposed valvetrain. If i really decided to go off the deep end, use a push pull valve rod with a slotted disc instead of cam to achieve teens era desmodronic actuation. Oiling for the rod would be dual squirter. Who knows if it would stay in one piece. It would just be fun to do it.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

We have a makerbot in the coder lab at my school, its always broken for some reason.. Also, not how the plastic from the 3D printer would take on the hot molten aluminum as a cast.

Somewhere I have a shrink scale.

Now that makerbot was sold people seem to really not like them.
    something about not being open source.

dremel has a printer you will be seeing at Home Depot soon.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Raven, I've still got my old apprentice log book from the 1980's with loads of information on the technical aspects of each casting we made. PM me if you would like any of it scanning.

Loads of tips for pattern release and improving casting finishes in there. We used to brush coal dust into the mould for cast iron as the gas film igniting around the mould made a slight barrier giving a massive improvement on a surface finish. Don't find that sort of stuff in books!

wax would be cool, but printing in resin sand would be even cooler, no pattern at all, just print the mold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burton View Post
    Raven, I've still got my old apprentice log book from the 1980's with loads of information on the technical aspects of each casting we made. PM me if you would like any of it scanning.

Loads of tips for pattern release and improving casting finishes in there. We used to brush coal dust into the mould for cast iron as the gas film igniting around the mould made a slight barrier giving a massive improvement on a surface finish. Don't find that sort of stuff in books!
    wow that sounds awesome!!!
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links