3d printing and junk - Page 3
Close

3d printing and junk

This is a discussion on 3d printing and junk within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jaguar Now that makerbot was sold people seem to really not like them. something about not being open source. dremel has a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Now that makerbot was sold people seem to really not like them.
    something about not being open source.

dremel has a printer you will be seeing at Home Depot soon.
    As far as my experince goes with it, I'd say the makerbot is a complete piece, but still very popular. There is a 3D printing store down the street from my school with about 20 of them in there.. Prob needs an entire team of IT guys to keep it running.
    I'd consider it to be open source, you can model using Google Sketch which is completely free.

We've got a Aleph Objects TAZ4 printer here, much more "open source" than the Makerbot. I can actually download the all of the design files, which were designed in an Open Source software suite, and modify/re-print anything I choose. If Aleph goes belly-up, I've got the files to make spare parts in perpetuity.

Quality-wise, maybe some accessory brackets or fit-test stuff for motorcycles. I mostly print in ABS but have some printable nylon that is even stronger but heat is a big issue since they're all based on plastic flow points around 230C, so putting that on an air-cooled engine is probably not a great idea since it will be flexible at a much lower temperature. I thought about printing out a new points cover for giggles, I'll have to get the IR thermometer out and evaluate the feasibility.

We mostly use it for test fitting housings, etc, that go around the electronics that I design. The quality isn't awesome by any means but a little post-print polishing helps. Accuracy is good enough to print workable gears and ACME thread profiles. It has been quite reliable but requires some calibration every now and then; even that is being worked on for bed auto-leveling. Once it's in a suitably advanced state I'll likely print the parts and add that feature to the printer. Having a little experience in setting up mills and lathes has been a huge help, I can't imagine some IT guy trying to keep a 3-axis robot going so it's no surprise that I hear about printer labs being half-dead most of the time.
    Dictated but not read.

Anyone have a home printer?
    Thinking about buying the PrintrBot makers kit.
    $350, figure its not going to set the world on fire. Looking for something to mess around with mostly and learn whats important for me down the line.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You'll probably learn right away that a heated bed is definitely a thing you want. Save up a little more and get the metal one, they're good machines.
    Dictated but not read.

We had okay luck with the heated bed at school, better luck with heating the whole chamber. But that was with dual prints in ABS and PLA.
    From what I understand at the 4x4x4 size in PLA the heated bed isnt really needed. But i have little experience printing in 100% PLA.

The metal machine does look alot nicer. Wonder if its really worth the $200 more.
    The new version of the wood one (1405) has reviews as it being just as solid as the metal units.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

I use ABS like 95% of the time, which really needs the heated bed for adhesion for the first few layers. The Taulman nylon needs it too, plus a really hot hotend. Chambers are nice, I don't have one yet and plan to build one.

You get a larger print cube and heated-bed options on the metal. I think it's probably worth the $300 (+$100 for the heater). 4^3 = 64, 6^3 = 216. That's a nonlinear increase in volume for the money.
    Dictated but not read.

True about the build space.
    Funny that it is the only metal one they make. the other larger ones are all wood too.

I would prefer to work in ABS down the road because I want to work with more end use components.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

When they can 3D print tiny flying corn chips that land in your mouth, that's when humanity will have arrived.

I'm excited about 3D concrete " printing ". The potential for buildings that could not be made by any other means is astounding.

This is a little lame, design wise. But you get the idea:

Name:  3D-Printed-House.gif
Views: 249
Size:  98.5 KB

This is my idea of the perfect desert home:

Name:  IMGP8776.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  174.9 KB

Danger, is my business.
    Last edited by Witworth; 09-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links