best "modern" custom platform
Close

This is a discussion on best "modern" custom platform within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; anyone have any thoughts as to the best platform for building a retro styled custom? I'm running out of Honda's and I think it's for ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: best "modern" custom platform

anyone have any thoughts as to the best platform for building a retro styled custom? I'm running out of Honda's and I think it's for the best since the hipster element has kinda ruined their appeal. Was thinking 90's Ducatis, seem to have good performance, are fairly inexpensive and still desirable by the actual riding market. I want to stay away from water cooled just from a simplicity aspect, don't want to go too exotic since paying 10k for a bike I'm going to customize on speculation seems like a quick way to go broke.

my 94 600ss certainly didn't need any handling mods, it was fucking fantastic. Could definitely have done with abit more ooomph.

Zephyr! :P
    Ignorance Is Bliss

I've often thought of trying something with a GSX/XJR 1300.
    Baines Racing used to produce a kit to turn a Ducati 900 Super Light into this.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think there are some good choices depending on what you want to end up with. I think that some of the aircooled Yamaha 600s might work, FZ600, FJ600, Seca II, Radian. The air/oil cooled Suzukis could be interested GSX/GSXR 600/750/1100. I have been looking at the Suzuki Marauder, too since it is a V twin with chain drive. The problem as I see it is that many of these bikes have a perimeter or spar frame that makes it difficult get the classic look although if you made an alloy Manx style tank you could probably pull it off.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

The Seca II / Diversion 600 could make a good neo - MV Agusta style bike if done right. The motor looks like something MV would have made, if they hadn't kept making cobbled - together 60's four - cylinder junk, and then going out of business.

Suzuki TU250Xs. Why someone is not selling a complete set of bodywork to make them look just like a Ducati 450 Desmo, is beyond my understanding. A café / race fairing and small mirrors would make them go at least ten MPH faster, for a start.

I think a serious café - style ST1100 Honda would make a very impressive café racer. Much like a CX 500 that goes fast, and goes around corners and stuff. The fact that it could haul a skinny chick around on the back in comfort and supreme smoothness at the ton only adds to the appeal, in my eyes.

1st gen SV650s. Why no one has done a good café one with a polished frame, beats me. The ally frame looks more Spondon - style than an ally Spondon one.

For something out of left field: A 400 Burgman or Yamaha T- max like RSD's custom:

Name:  RSD T-Max-15_Original.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  139.1 KB

It needs a top tube and a dummy tank IMO. The style looks like prime hipster bait, to me.

Danger, is my business.

GT hawk or something of a similar year/size/style

Really 80s superbikes could be fun too.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

the problem with all the above mentioned is most of them are "rare" bikes (except the diversion and the Tu250).

I think you are on the right track roc, the 1992-1998 Ducati Supersports are getting collectible and have been kind of done to death, but there is literally nothing for the 1999-2005 Supersports and those bikes are dirt cheap, common, and just fucking awful in the looks department. I never see any custom ones so you pretty much have to make your market with them though.

Another couple I have thought about is the honda 599/919 and the first gen kawasaki z1000. Both are slightly rarer but available and cheap as a modern standard can get. Again you are making your market with these bikes.

However, if you are looking for a commercially viable project - the answer is SV650. Huge following but not a lot of aftermarket parts esp retro body parts which the bike would need since 90% of them seem to be crashed anyway. Probably the best one to hit the ground running on since the market is already there.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I never thought that the last gen SS ducatis were ugly.

They do seem cheap though
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

It's the time to start hording 1st gen SV650 junk for future café racer efforts. Complete motors / frame / swingarms / tanks and legit titles. Much of the bodywork is a bit ugly and useless, like the wheels, brakes and forks. Plenty of other much more sexy used stuff fits SVs, and is cheap enough off of eBay. 1st gen SV motors are bulletproof, for road or track. Even high miles ones.

One reason the 1st gen ones crash, is the forks are pretty crap stock. Almost CX 500 quality.

The 2nd gen EFI SVs are a bit too ugly to make into a café - custom bike.

Forget building Ducati customs, parts prices for engine parts are well off the scale.

Once the legions of CX 500 fashion idiots ride a real bike, the CX 500 funky - love is all over in about half an hour.

Danger, is my business.
    Last edited by Witworth; 10-27-2014 at 08:56 AM.

my friend was telling me to go for the 4 valve engine, I found some older 2 valve 620 monsters sold on ebay for about $1500, from what I understand you could drop a 900 in with no adaptation, the later 4 valves look to be going for about 4-5k, just seems like starting with a Ducati opens your custom up to a much more serious market, namely people with money who actually love to ride, it's a bit sad IMO because old jap bikes are beautiful machines and are great to ride, just seems too many have been destroyed and then sold as "custom", kinda gave anyone working on jap customs a bad reputation by association.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links