New Harley Davidson Electric bike
Close

This is a discussion on New Harley Davidson Electric bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Harley-Davidson Goes All-Electric With LiveWire Concept Motorcycle...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Harley Davidson Electric bike

www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Their LiveWire roadshow is in town this weekend. I will not be attending. I will consider the technology to be viable when the range of e-bikes is roughly two-hundred miles of mixed-use riding, full-capacity charging takes less than twenty minutes, and such performance/convenience doesn't cost more than an IC-engined bike. I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, although great strides have been made. I'd think hydrogen fuel cells will come to the forefront over the next twenty years. By then I'll be in my mid-seventies and likely piloting a Hoveround.
    I believe we have run out of trolls.

Yay, another electric motorcycle with no practical use.

Range is somewhere around 50 miles.

Hybrid is indeed the future. Currently with a gasoline generator and then switch to one powered by Hydrogen fuel cell.
    On-board power generation is practical, electricity stored in batteries is not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw View Post
    Their LiveWire roadshow is in town this weekend. I will not be attending. I will consider the technology to be viable when the range of e-bikes is roughly two-hundred miles of mixed-use riding, full-capacity charging takes less than twenty minutes, and such performance/convenience doesn't cost more than an IC-engined bike. I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime, although great strides have been made. I'd think hydrogen fuel cells will come to the forefront over the next twenty years. By then I'll be in my mid-seventies and likely piloting a Hoveround.
    So basically you see no future for e-bike unless it matched the numbers for IC bike more or less in every sense?
    the fact that fuel cost is neglible and that its silent with potentially great power deliver are of no value? (For example)
    if I would win in lottery I would order KTM electric freeride with an extra battry right away. I think it would be brilliant and neighbours wouldn't hate me for the noise. Sure it still quite expensive - but not out of this world priced anymore.

Hydrogen? We'll see but that is not simple change, the infrastructure changes would have to massive, I think batteries have great strength in sort of progressive development. They almost work already, and do so for some applications. Hydrogen will need huge investments to get even near where we are now with batteries. Also plugin hybrid cars are actually becoming more common, this will likely provide boost for battery tech (manufacturing cost).
    -

That being said, a 70+ hp e-bikes are hardly sensible with current tech, and for HD to go for e-bikes is utterly weird. Their brand is built on obnoxious noise levels, what do you have left when you take that away? Even shaking would be gone
    -

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    That being said, a 70+ hp e-bikes are hardly sensible with current tech, and for HD to go for e-bikes is utterly weird. Their brand is built on obnoxious noise levels, what do you have left when you take that away? Even shaking would be gone
    I think they have it covered with a really large one of these...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Some of you people have blinders on. The Zero SR is already pumping out very impressive performance with today's batteries. Battery tech gets better as every month passes, just like almost every other aspect of technology. The next new battery which is closest to being ready for mass production charges as quickly as you can fill the tank on your ICE vehicle the cells are supposed to last 20 years. Why is it so hard to look at last year's bikes, compare them to this year's bikes, and not see that they get better every year? Your phone gets better, your tv gets better, your coffee makers and toasters get better. Why wouldn't batteries get better?
    01 MZ Skorpion (No, it's not stock. It was originally designed in England, has a Japanese motor, is built with Italian components, but it's German)
    03 Kawasaki KX250 (Braaap!)
    73 Yamaha RD350/R5

Batt bikes are pretty useless. No range. H-D is throwing cash down the john.

H cell vehicles are the future. Batt vehicles are 1900.

In fifty years time you will probably be able to buy a good cheap E commuter scooter.

Danger, is my business.

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    So basically you see no future for e-bike unless it matched the numbers for IC bike more or less in every sense?
    Correct. Why would anyone want to get less performance (range) and wait eight hours to go another fifty miles?

Fuel cells have a greater potential to equal IC vehicles in range and performance - IMO. E-vehicles are showing pretty good numbers in the power department, but until the range and convenience issues get solved, they will be an interesting sidebar for me.

True, fuel cells lack an infrastructure, but with all the electric vehicle hoopla that has been around for over a decade now, vehicle charging stations are still few and far between - and electricity is readily available.

Either way it falls, I won't be around to enjoy it.
    I believe we have run out of trolls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links