Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer? - Page 2
Close

Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer?

This is a discussion on Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I did mention the term`build` on the first page of this thread, so I know what you mean. I am hoping that when I am ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer?

I did mention the term`build` on the first page of this thread, so I know what you mean. I am hoping that when I am done `assembling and fabricating my bike`, that I dont really need to be doing much else to it, other than general maintenance.

I bet I will have 250 hours into it on completion (possibly 300 including bacon butties and mugs of tea).

I've done full restoration in a little more than a month or two and I have some "project" bikes that I'm still working on after several years. For me the amount of time it takes me comes down to two important areas - 1 is do I have all the money ready to go and 2 is do I have a clear though on where the project is going. I find "most" projects take much longer if the funds are not readily available. If your doing a restoration project then your build path is pretty much set and it comes down to the amount of time you spend each day. If your building a custom bike - then you spend a great deal of time working around the original design of the bike and the changes your making to fit within the constraints of what is not changing.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Ha Ha "build", "fabricate", "assemble"....

I suppose I am somewhat annoyed at the amount of people out there "building" bikes, considering themselves "builders" reading in to this post trying to find a blueprint or minimal amount of time so they can call their "build"
    completed so they can put it on ebay to sell it to someone else or what have you.
    Not annoyed at your post... Just wondering what the builders are actually building?
    Whatever... carry on.
    latered

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Mine has taken 5 years to get to it's current state, in saying that it was about 12 months to get to a point where I got plates and rode it around, that was meant to be a few weeks shakedown before I stripped it for paint, instead it turned int a year of riding. Then I painted and rode around some more before I added a fairing and USD forks. I still don't think it's really finished, I've been "building" (and I use the term loosely) another engine for about 18 months now but have been distracted by the bike I'm building for my wife and my Jeep.

Cheers
    Steve

I love when I show up to the track with my race bikes... people ask.." who made the bodywork?"... I did. " who made the tank?" ... I did... " is it a cover?".. No its a tank
    Same thing every time. I've been developing my CB350 racer for the last 13 years. Dialing it in all the time.

go make stuff!
    Tannermatic
    latered

How the hell do you figure an "average" build time? If you buy all you need it should be a very short time. Assuming you have a fat bank account. If you have to fabricate most every thing then the time will go way out. Much like Monkey I built my LSR sidecar I get the "Who built your frame?".......I did. "Who did the bodywork?"........I did. It probably took the the best part of a year and a half working in the evenings and weekends. Allowing pissed off time when you think you have it figured and it doesn't work out. I started the build around 2004. How many hours have I got in it? I really would hate to add it up. I think I would shit myself if I did. Cash in it? I can give you a close(ish) estimate. Again, its too scary to keep score on that part. The sidecar is, today, very different to what it was originally, Its ongoing.
    monkey likes this.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

[QUOTE=monkey;308238]I love when I show up to the track with my race bikes... people ask.." who made the bodywork?"... I did. " who made the tank?" ... I did... " is it a cover?".. No its a tank
    Same thing every time. I've been developing my CB350 racer for the last 13 years. Dialing it in all the time.

go make stuff!

If we're gonna get into semantics, my definition is that they are all "projects" some are "restorations" back to original which should only take the time to get the work done, finding parts and funds needed. Others are "builds" where you take a base line bike and "make and fabricate" bits to your own interpretation of what would work and look better for you!
    When I started my first ground up "build" nobody believed I could/would do it. The OCD, ADD, ADHD, HDMI, TSCC, and DFI in me said screw em!
    I made the handlebars five times before I was happy. Anyone here that has achieved a good "build" fully understands Monkeys statement that when you're asked what/who/where you can say "I did"

Now I'm outta here to go finish my fuel tank.
    Last edited by Wydglyd; 11-16-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    "Paint it Black until they invent something darker"

I have a confession. I didn't make the tank on the sidecar. Its an adapted oil tank from a Manx Norton.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

You dont have to make everything.... However opening up a catalog and ordering parts to decorate your 1970's honda and or fabricating a shitty seat for the same 70's honda is
    no reason to go around calling yourself a motorcycle "builder"
    latered

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Ha Ha "build", "fabricate", "assemble"....

I suppose I am somewhat annoyed at the amount of people out there "building" bikes, considering themselves "builders" reading in to this post trying to find a blueprint or minimal amount of time so they can call their "build"
    completed so they can put it on ebay to sell it to someone else or what have you.
    Not annoyed at your post... Just wondering what the builders are actually building?
    Whatever... carry on.
    Mr. monkey, i think you are preaching to the quire, especially here on CF.net.
    i BUILT my bike, i built the rear seat out of sheet metal, i design and build my own rearsets for my height, i built my exhaust system out of stainless steel tubing and sheet metal that i rounded with my bare hands, i built my own battery from LiFePo4 cells and custom aluminum casing... i built many other things...
    i built my bike, but i am still been considered as an extremist among our Cafe Racer community.
    Why? because it easier to throw stuff on the bike instead of building them.
    i can understand when people lack the skill and know-how, and still want a nice bike - this is assembly... not Build nor Fabricate.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links