Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer? - Page 3
Close

Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer?

This is a discussion on Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Could say you integrated parts into a assembly...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Average Build Time for a Cafe Racer?

Could say you integrated parts into a assembly

I guess the term `build` has caused a debate. It does make me cringe when I read about someone dbeing escibed as a`bike builder` though.

Maybe time to change the name of the forum category titled "Project Builds" ...... just saying....

Or maybe add one for the pipe wrap hacksaw fraternity. (Sorry if I offended anyone who owns a hacksaw or uses pipe wrap).

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Its just unfortunate that anyone can go out and buy a hacksaw, which is a great tool by the way, plus a grinder and header wrap. Like most things in life, just needs to be used responsibly

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    You dont have to make everything.... However opening up a catalog and ordering parts to decorate your 1970's honda and or fabricating a shitty seat for the same 70's honda is
    no reason to go around calling yourself a motorcycle "builder"
    I totally get that point, but that is exactly what we all did back in the day. We never used the word "builder" etc. We customized our bikes straight out of teh Dunstall/Bill Chuck/Curley/Sondel Sport/Read Titan/Unity/Burton Bike bits/etc catalogues.

Oddly enough, back in the day on the UK, cash was hard to come by so it too time to save up enough to buy those parts, so we did it one part at a time. Few of us had the skills to make or modify much of anything - even back then.

I suspect teh "Builder/maker" BS arose because today in the US, most people can afford to buy shiny stuff, so now it's taken as some sort of mark of respect that people make stuff. And that brings us to the pint where guys like Hoof and Monkey are skilled at what they do and teh rest of teh hipster hack jobs think that if they "make" something, that automatically gives them credibility and that people will see them as experts or craftsmen or whatever affirmative title they are looking for.

Some of us have always been too broke to buy much of anything and do take pride in making or modifying things. I'm sure that represents some sort of disorder, but I'm OK with that. Time to get back in the shop and work out which parts of which cranks will be sent out to Bill Bune to make one good crank out of.

Where would they begin if there were no rear frame rails to cut off ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burton View Post
    Its just unfortunate that anyone can go out and buy a hacksaw, which is a great tool by the way, plus a grinder and header wrap. Like most things in life, just needs to be used responsibly
    I agree with you Mark. Hacksaws are a great tool. I have a few, and have used them millions of times, but still haven't mastered the art of making a perfect cut every time. Harder than it looks for me anyway. Maybe better quality blades would help. Some times I think they should only be sold to those properly licensed and trained. Scary what has been done to some motorcycles. As for header wrap, personally I think it only belongs upstream of the turbo. I know there are folks out there that have a different point of view on header wrap and there are there are things that I like on a motorcycle, from a styling point of view that others would probably find strange.
    I suppose header wrap is ok if used responsibly.... kind of like fishnet stockings or tights.

So how do you guys feel about the title of the "Project Build" section of the forum then?
    Mark Burton likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    So how do you guys feel about the title of the "Project Build" section of the forum then?
    It's generally accepted and understood hobbyist terminology within the motorcycle enthusiast community ... and has been forever...

You can change it to "bike projects" or something, and while you're at it, change the entire site name to "vintageperformace" dot net ect. ....because "caferacer" makes about the same amount of sense as " builds " .............. just 'sayin
    TCed likes this.

I don't see a problem with the title "project build". Build, assemble, bolt on, etc. It all means the same thing. Not everyone has a fully equipped shop. I have an angle grinder that can do most everything but it can't tig weld, So a neighbor does the aluminum welding for me. The rest I do with an ancient Montgomery Ward stick welder. The angle grinder is also a lousy lathe. But I have another friend who has a lathe. I suppose if you wanted to boil it down there aren't too many on here that make their engines from scratch and on up from there. But today with 1-800-sent parts there is little incentive to spend hours in the garage making a part. Unless, of course, you're like a lot of us and permanently broke. Or you want to stand out. Or no one makes the part you need so you have to make it yourself. As Teazer posted even way back in the early days there was Dunstall, Chuck etc. for parts to "build" your special. For me its do what you can with what you got and enjoy what you do.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links