Best "entry level" track specific bike
Close

This is a discussion on Best "entry level" track specific bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ive been throwing around the idea of doing some track days, and wanted opinions and advice for a beginner track bike. This is something for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best "entry level" track specific bike

Ive been throwing around the idea of doing some track days, and wanted opinions and advice for a beginner track bike. This is something for further along in the future, but wanted to get sound advice in case i came across a deal on a bike. Was searching yesterday on the CMRA forums and found some cool stuff, ranging from 2-5 grand. Im 31 years old, fairly athletic/fit, 5'10", 175 pounds. I rode a GSXR-600 on the street for a number of years, as well as raced motocross for many years. I know this is completely different than laying it over in corners and such on a track. I came across the SV-650 as well as others, but am curious as to what size bike is best for a beginner rider. Thanks for the insight.

Clint C

for modern sport bikes my old school pic was always the FZR400 but the fact they are rare now coupled with the fact that the SV650 and EX500 is now in most of the same classes and kicks the FZR400s teeth in makes it no longer the case. So Ex500 or SV650.

For entry level vintage racing it's hard to beat a cb350 running in formula cb350.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

How's the little Beezer coming along?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Geets, it takes quite a bit of motor work to get a GS500 to out perform a superstock legal FZR400. BUt the SV650 basically ended the fun for FZR400 riiders.

Still one of my all time favorite sportbikes. As a matter of fact, when I bought my R6 it was because I wanted a bike that revved to 15K and handled like the 400, but had 600cc power.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    How's the little Beezer coming along?
    Hey Jack, good to hear from you.

It needs about 1-2 days of work and a new battery. Nothing major, i just need time. School is kicking my ass this semester and the only day i have set aside for it is sundays, but since my daughter started soccer she's had games on those days. Now, outdoor is over and indoor started, so she plays on saturdays and practices on sundays.

I could probably stop being a little bitch and just make time for it though. Hope you're doing well and not freezing to death.
    Mark Burton likes this.

A superstock SV650. It is a better bike than most people are rider. You can build one for under $3k or buy one already done for under 2K. It is easy on tires, brakes and the rider. I don't think that most people will go faster on a Superbike SV than they will on a superstock one.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I recently secured myself an FZR400 for a similar purpose though was also considering the SV650, an interesting 400 came along so I went with it. I've not received it yet though will post more about it when I have it and have spent some time on it.

Go for the twin. The way a twin launches out of a corner is the best feeling ever. I would get an sv or an 90's air-cooled 2 valve ducati. You'll have so much fun

Not to poo poo on vintage racing... it is fun.... but the race tires and the money is almost the same if not cheaper for the modern stuff. The performance you will have from a bone stock sv or ducati will run you a crapload of money and development time with an old cb.
    Buckets likes this.
    latered

Here is one that might be interesting for you

2002 Suzuki SV 650
    monkey likes this.
    2000 Yamaha R1, full custom built, 365lbs wet
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by franky996 View Post
    Here is one that might be interesting for you

2002 Suzuki SV 650
    If somebody wanted a track bike, they would be a really big dope not to get this one.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links