Hipster hatin
Close

Hipster hatin

This is a discussion on Hipster hatin within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; whats the deal with all the hate towards hipsters I mean don't classify myself as a hipster but I like that kind of shit. i ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hipster hatin

Hipster hatin

whats the deal with all the hate towards hipsters
    I mean don't classify myself as a hipster but I like that kind of shit. i like working on bikes like everyone else. i heard the term 'hipster hackjob' get thrown around. i don't got a ton of money to throw into projects but shit i have enough to make my cb350 look how i like. whats with the hate?

LVW
    Er, you might be on the wrong site. No disrespect intended, of course.

well its simple. hipsters, as a rule, take an unbroken motorcycle, break its functionality as a motorcycle in the name of fashion, and call it a build. Plus, come on, they have termed the phrase "lumbersexual". Nothing good can come of it really. You take a bunch of metrosexual guys wearing skinny jeans, dress them in flannel, give them big bore Stihls and they go play at being tough manly outdoor men. Nothing bad can happen right?
    Bassmasta likes this.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's not so much that we hate hipsters, but 9 times out of 10 when someone comes here and shows us pictures of how they've removed fenders so they can fit oversized Firestones and removed the airbox to fit shitty pod filters and wrapped their rusty exhaust headers they just happen to be a fashion victim hipster.

Taking a functioning motorcycle and making it perform worse for the sake of chasing this years' look is.....just......plain......stupid.

Because everything these days is fake.

Fake people "building" fake motorcycles that look "cool." And for what?
    A few "selfies" on the internet.
    A few "likes" on social media... Shit.. starting a "company" to build your shit wagons.

It's obnoxious.

There's always going to be the normal people, and people like you who don't understand why normal people laugh at those fucks.
    Because they're fake. They're all unique just like the rest of them.

But you better believe I'll never get in their way... that's their right. Be as retarded as you want to be. If it isn't hipsters, it'll just be something else as retarded.

'82 GS750E, '99 ZRX-1100
    "Tossing a few cherries on the manure wagon doesn't make it the dessert cart."

Hipsters fucking suck
    monkey likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by Bratrace26 View Post
    whats the deal with all the hate towards hipsters
    I mean don't classify myself as a hipster but I like that kind of shit. i like working on bikes like everyone else. i heard the term 'hipster hackjob' get thrown around. i don't got a ton of money to throw into projects but shit i have enough to make my cb350 look how i like. whats with the hate?
    So like everything, there is a measured, intelligent approach to something and a "give it to me now! I want it, got to have it" instant gratification approach to something. While I think this is more an epidemic that affects young people rather than the subculture that is actual hipsters - it still sucks to have to deal with people seeking the instant gratification route who assume too much, do too little research, and who do not come to this hobby with an open mind (but somehow think they do).

If you come here chasing a "look" then you really aren't participating in this hobby, you are doing something else fed to you by someone else and are laboring under a collection of misunderstandings and a closed mind that you know what's best and all the other people with real experience that are telling you you are doing it the hard way can fuck off. If you want to participate in this hobby it starts with a proper understanding of the underlying philosophy and frame of mind - A motorcycle is not an augmentation to your life style, it is an enjoyable activity to ride a sporting motorcycle fast, and if you chase the riding experience rather than the visual experience your reward will be much greater in the hobby and you are more inclined to stay in it long term.

The guys who just want a cool cafe racer honda because it looks so badass are tourists in this hobby - they aren't after long term enjoyment and don't set them self up for maximum success so it is no surprise when the motorcycle hobby doesn't pan out to what they thought it would be and they leave after creating their unsafe but cool looking death traps.

So yeah the looks only crowd gets called "hipster" because they are the generally maligned group on pop culture now and it doesn't hurt they like old Hondas. It's kinda how hippie evolved into the wackadoodle peace loving dope smoking stereotype when the original hippies were just looking for a different more agrarian lifestyle than middle class America could give them

So, Let me turn this back on you mr Brat Race - do you have an open mind? or did you just see a pic on the internet and felt "I gotta have that" as you follow your fellow lemmings over the clif of uncomfortable riding positions and suffering for your "style" to the point where you sell your bike on craigslist after not riding it for a year when you move on to something else?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    So like everything, there is a measured, intelligent approach to something and a "give it to me now! I want it, got to have it" instant gratification approach to something. While I think this is more an epidemic that affects young people rather than the subculture that is actual hipsters - it still sucks to have to deal with people seeking the instant gratification route who assume too much, do too little research, and who do not come to this hobby with an open mind (but somehow think they do).

If you come here chasing a "look" then you really aren't participating in this hobby, you are doing something else fed to you by someone else and are laboring under a collection of misunderstandings and a closed mind that you know what's best and all the other people with real experience that are telling you you are doing it the hard way can fuck off. If you want to participate in this hobby it starts with a proper understanding of the underlying philosophy and frame of mind - A motorcycle is not an augmentation to your life style, it is an enjoyable activity to ride a sporting motorcycle fast, and if you chase the riding experience rather than the visual experience your reward will be much greater in the hobby and you are more inclined to stay in it long term.

The guys who just want a cool cafe racer honda because it looks so badass are tourists in this hobby - they aren't after long term enjoyment and don't set them self up for maximum success so it is no surprise when the motorcycle hobby doesn't pan out to what they thought it would be and they leave after creating their unsafe but cool looking death traps.

So yeah the looks only crowd gets called "hipster" because they are the generally maligned group on pop culture now and it doesn't hurt they like old Hondas. It's kinda how hippie evolved into the wackadoodle peace loving dope smoking stereotype when the original hippies were just looking for a different more agrarian lifestyle than middle class America could give them

So, Let me turn this back on you mr Brat Race - do you have an open mind? or did you just see a pic on the internet and felt "I gotta have that" as you follow your fellow lemmings over the clif of uncomfortable riding positions and suffering for your "style" to the point where you sell your bike on craigslist after not riding it for a year when you move on to something else?

I think this is really funny actually. but to answer your question(although long and ironic) I did not always think the café racer look was a cool thing. in fact when my buddy showed me a café racer for the first time I thought it looked retarded. when I decided to buy a motorcycle I bought an all stock 1980 KZ440. I loved my first bike and when I rode it for the first time, I knew that ill be riding motorcycles till I am old and mean like y'all. I liked café racers after I had a motorcycle, then I bought a 1970 CL125 and stripped shit cleaned the carbs, and put on some clubman bars and I liked it. big deal if it doesint follow the 'café racer code' If I like the look then that's all that matters. Café racers don't need second hand approval its all personal. make it how you like it.

replace furniture with bikes and replace the end scene with the photographers lavishing him with praise and it sums it up perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Bratrace26 View Post
    some clubman bars and I liked it. big deal if it doesint follow the 'café racer code' If I like the look then that's all that matters. Café racers don't need second hand approval its all personal. make it how you like it.
    And that why we know you are a hipster. Also why you will not like it here.
    Go play dress up some place else.
    monkey likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links