Not Bike Related....Anybody remember 1980's "Street Machines"
Close

Not Bike Related....Anybody remember 1980's "Street Machines"

This is a discussion on Not Bike Related....Anybody remember 1980's "Street Machines" within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; 1967 PONTIAC RACE CAR/ STREET CAR Spotted this on CL, and I have to ask, Where did all these cars go? You used to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,265

    Not Bike Related....Anybody remember 1980's "Street Machines"

    1967 PONTIAC RACE CAR/ STREET CAR

    Name:  00y0y_55gHJNdjNz8_600x450.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  58.5 KB

    Spotted this on CL, and I have to ask, Where did all these cars go? You used to see them way more often at car shows, cruise nights, well into the early 2000s. I mean they are still awful and tacky and age hasn't made them better, but starting to miss not seeing this level of gaudy in the sea of silver boxes on the highway.

    Have you seen any wild street freaks lately?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  2. #2
    Senior Member TCed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    traverse city, mi, USA.
    Posts
    1,975
    Guessing they went downhill and trashed or restored and stored.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DesmoDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SE MI, USA.
    Posts
    1,653
    Back in the day I rememebr seeing one at a show around the Minneapolis area. I remember wondering how many hours must have gone into making such an ugly car. The workmanship was outstanding but the choices made were... not my style?

    Anywhos, about three years later I saw it again, on a flatbed truck, with another car stacked on top of it. Show car to trash heap in three short years. Even though I thought the car was hideous I still felt bad for whoever built it.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,265
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Back in the day I rememebr seeing one at a show around the Minneapolis area. I remember wondering how many hours must have gone into making such an ugly car. The workmanship was outstanding but the choices made were... not my style?

    Anywhos, about three years later I saw it again, on a flatbed truck, with another car stacked on top of it. Show car to trash heap in three short years. Even though I thought the car was hideous I still felt bad for whoever built it.
    yeah you know that is not a story that ends happy.

    The thing I used to remember as a kid though was that they weren't just show cars, people used to drive these things too and often hard and as their daily.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  6. #5
    Senior Member knappyfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,119
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  107.9 KB

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  54.3 KB

    Just my run of the mill elco. I use this when I transport my bikes to and fro wherever. I never liked jacked up fancy so I just kept the ss look. Speaking of 80s.......the other pic is from my Zemco Compass circa 1984........I had to have a little tacky on it

  7. #6
    Senior Member grandpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Laredo, Texas
    Posts
    1,662
    I don't care what you think of classic street machines, they beat the [email protected] out of-



    P.S. photo in original post is a late 60s muscle car.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

  8. #7
    Senior Member Big Bad Bob Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Posts
    2,412
    Hell yeah. Dirtbag cars are the shit. I'm still pining for a syclone geets. Changed my life.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

  9. #8
    Senior Member knappyfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    I don't care what you think of classic street machines, they beat the [email protected] out of-



    P.S. photo in original post is a late 60s muscle car.
    I cut my teeth on composites and design composites on these type of rides......purely for family and friends. We were doing raised relief speaker and entertainment boxes before you ever saw it on television. Although it is not my personal style......the amount of creative thought and design is impressive........in fact entertaining. Although nice to look at they are way to gaudy and flamboyant for me and I don't believe they will ever pass the lure of American muscle cars and that of the big finned cars of the late 50s.
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 02-05-2015 at 10:46 PM.

  10. #9
    Senior Member grandpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Laredo, Texas
    Posts
    1,662
    Flip-up doors, speakers that can blast the windows out of a car, and even trick lightweight bodywork do NOTHING for me. Meat-eating engines and high performance chassis/suspension setups that can deliver the power to the ground and not lose the racing line are where it's at.

    ...don't even get me started on 20"+ wheels...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

  11. #10
    Senior Member knappyfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    Flip-up doors, speakers that can blast the windows out of a car, and even trick lightweight bodywork do NOTHING for me. Meat-eating engines and high performance chassis/suspension setups that can deliver the power to the ground and not lose the racing line are where it's at.

    ...don't even get me started on 20"+ wheels...

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  70.8 KB

    Okay you tempted me..........I'll get you started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Street 750 XRTT "Replica" on EXIF.
    By Tanshanomi in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-22-2015, 12:24 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 05:46 PM
  3. Best "entry level" track specific bike
    By cweston222 in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 06:26 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 10:47 AM