Tingate Racing SR 500 : " The world's most beautiful bike " ?
Close

This is a discussion on Tingate Racing SR 500 : " The world's most beautiful bike " ? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The Tingate Racing SR 500 has been described as " The worlds most beautiful bike ". What do you guys think? Danger, is my business."...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tingate Racing SR 500 : " The world's most beautiful bike " ?

The Tingate Racing SR 500 has been described as " The worlds most beautiful bike ". What do you guys think?

Name:  SR TRD RHS.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  SR TRD Tank.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  SR TRD Groff.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  144.1 KB

Danger, is my business."
    Last edited by Witworth; 03-03-2015 at 09:27 PM.

I think not. Keep the motor and chassis, but that bodywork is horrible.
    44dwarf likes this.

Like the tank, seat, not so much.
    www.slipstreamcycle.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Do they let the lawn gnome ride it?
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    Do they let the lawn gnome ride it?
    That's not a gnome! That's Mister ( Stuart ) Grant Groff, esteemed motorcycle scribe, and expert mechanic known in the antipodes, by his writings, as Spannerman.

Danger, is my business."

P.S. If you look carefully, he is on his knees praying to the bike. Much like a Mohammedan pointed towards Mecca.
    Last edited by Witworth; 03-03-2015 at 09:48 PM.

IMHO, that thing is ugly..
    one of the nicest tank shapes yamaha ever built and to hang that ugly tank and bulky seat on it...fail...
    one thing yamaha did with the early sr was put good chrome on the fenders, an SR with painted fenders.. another fail..

I'll admit ,the rear caliper hung on the bottom has merit as its lowers the C/G

to make up those goofy bars welded at the front forks ,..fail ( why bother as they look to be near the originals in position anyway)

The fork lowers arn't original and if your going to update brakes (drilled ) , why not just add the dual system as its so easy to do.. (a rh/lh xs1100 dual caliper and rotor setup would have been the ticket )
    As an SR owner, its .

all for a lighter un-sprung weight but to take the center out of the I beam spoke would not be my Idea of brilliant ...Whit please tell me this isnt your doing..
    Last edited by Tonnystark; 03-03-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

I have to like it.........it's Santa Claus' ride.

My momma said "if you ain't got nothing good to say don't say anything"..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnystark View Post
    .... that thing is ugly..
    one of the nicest tank shapes yamaha ever built and hang that ugly tank and bulky seat on it...fail...
    one thing yamaha did with the early sr was put good chrome on the fenders, an SR with painted fenders.. another fail..

I'll admit ,the rear caliper hung on the bottom has merit as its lowers the C/G

to make up those goofy bars welded at the front forks ,..fail ( why bother as they look to be near the originals in position anyway)

The fork lowers arn't original and if your going to update brakes (drilled ) , why not just add the dual system as its so easy to do.. (a rh/lh xs1100 dual caliper and rotor setup would have been the ticket )
    As an SR owner, its .

all for a lighter un-sprung weight but to take the center out of the I beam spoke would not be my Idea of brilliant ...Whit please tell me this isnt your doing..

Lower CoG on a bike means zero. It might on a race day Porsche. Hanging calis just get covered in road grime and grit: they are a dumb idea.

As far as I know, those TRD bars work better than just about any other configuration on a fast road going SR 500. That's what I've been told.

The forks are OEM SR 500E, it's just the RHS disc mount lugs have been chopped off.

A dual disc is pretty useless on an SR 500, too much unsprung weight, and a good single disc provides plenty of braking power on a light road single. BTW, I've ridden SR 500's with dual discs, and the extra braking power is pretty useless. I think the increase in unsprung weight during braking actually outweighs the 'benefits' of more braking power. Bear in mind this bike was probably built around 1985.

I can't see anything wrong with machining out the centre of the old H-beam seven-spoke Yamaha wheel, at all. Certainly no issue at all on a light bike like an SR 500 IMHO. There were designed for bikes well over twice the SR 500's weight. I'd do it without a care, but other guys can choose either way to do it or not. I'd ride on cut seven-spokers any day. That said, I would not modify them for anyone else to ride on. They can do it themselves, if they choose.

Danger, is my business."

I love it. I doubt I would call it the most beautiful, but it has a decent amount of racy purposefulness and 70's quirk to keep me from feeling even remotely ill about it. It certainly looks well put together too, nothing disjointed or glaringly out of place, like it could be a factory machine.
    OldTwin and bfont52 like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I have to like it.........it's Santa Claus' ride.

My momma said "if you ain't got nothing good to say don't say anything"..........................
    You will go a long way with that good attitude sonny! You may even get a (1) Witworth star W* , for Christmas!

Danger, is
    my business."

P.S. Check the mailbox!
    Last edited by Witworth; 03-03-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links