I think I have spent too much time around brits..... - Page 2
Close

I think I have spent too much time around brits.....

This is a discussion on I think I have spent too much time around brits..... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The six cylinder XJR motor would be a cool swap. wonder if it has ever been done. i had a v12. fucking epic car....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I think I have spent too much time around brits.....

The six cylinder XJR motor would be a cool swap.
    wonder if it has ever been done.

i had a v12.
    fucking epic car.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Has anyone changed the plugs on a V12 XJS? How long did it take you?

The smaller Fireball engine is fantastic.

Nothing wrong with the XK straight 6 engines or the V12s.

I've run Mk1 and Mk2 with XK 3.4 and 3.8 (also Daimler V8 which a nice motor and probably a better handling car), my brother runs an 1973 V12 E type in Chicago yep he's a Brit with R/H drive in a L/H drive world. Also had a 77 XJ coupe in black with the 5.3 PI engine, driving around Liverpool at 2am I felt like a pimp.

Only problem was rust and the electrics occasionally.

Geeto buy the very best you can afford they'll cost a fortune to restore. Much of the trim is no longer available and some mechanical parts are hens teeth.
    Last edited by jalsteve; 03-06-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    Lite the blue touch paper and stand well back!

I like the fat rump on the XJS.

The reason so many chevies are swapped in are that people are retards and have zero resourcefulness. Lets spend 5k on a conversion when we could fix the six cylinder for 2k or less. The cars I have had and wrenched on with the XK motor have been nearly bulletproof with basic maintenance. As far as electrics, get away from the weird optical ignition fitted to some XJ6s, do an alternator swap and its pretty much good. I have honestly never had any injection problems on Jags that everything else that runs the same system doesn't have. The trap door airflow sensor sucks. But it sucks on everything else too. Even the Japanese clone of it sucks. Keep the fuel lines on the injector rail fresh to minimize fire chances. I personally made little spuds for mine so i could run modern injectors. A set of 3.9 Dodge magnum injectors with a more modern spray pattern really helps things.

As far as body electrics, it doesnt matter whats under the hood, the body demons are still there. Like those fuseholder things up front on the Series 2 XJ. W.T.F.

Around here the single biggest killer of Series 2 XJs is the physical fuel system. Anyone else ever have a return valve fail and dump a tank of fuel out of the overflow of the other side? Or crap pack in the quarter panel pans and rot the tanks from the outside in? Or stripped drains? Or leaky lines in the spare tire well? Or fuel cooler failure? But...I love Jags.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

There is only one classic British car a gentleman would consider for a DD.

The Rover P6 V-8.

Name:  Rover P6 Last_of_line.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  1,018.9 KB

Second only to the Rolls-Royce, in the people's hearts.

Danger, is my business."

P.S, : Truth be told, the Rover P6 was the inspiration for the Tingate Racing SR 500! Notice they both have the Cuban cigar profile. Winston's great influence lives on.

Name:  SR TRD Groff.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  144.1 KB
    Last edited by Witworth; 03-06-2015 at 08:31 AM.

The V12 is not an unreliable engine.
    only major thing I can think of is they don't like to be over heated. But nothing does....

plug swap takes three years.....
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by jalsteve View Post
    Geeto buy the very best you can afford they'll cost a fortune to restore. Much of the trim is no longer available and some mechanical parts are hens teeth.
    XJS prices in the US are a funny thing. "The nicest" ones are actually a lot of money. However, beaters or chevy swaps are dirt cheap (E.G. a nice later XJS six can be $10-12K, but the same car with a chevy swap is $2500 at best). I'm super bummed because I missed out on a BRG 1995 vert with the 6 at an estate sale a couple moths back for $1500. Car had a few issues from sitting but nobody hot rodded it or beat it up. I'm not really looking for a nice clean well kept example, just a rust free one that runs that I can do some stupidity with like put straight pipes on and remove the bumpers. and I would really like a convertible because if I had a coupe I would likely do something stupid like pay a lot of money to a metal worker to make it a hatch back.

I love what this guy did with his bumpers:

Name:  15179d1324483923-bumper-modification-2011-12-20-15.49.07.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  63.0 KB
    Name:  15582d1325601998-xjs-bumper-delete-2011-12-20-14.47.18.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  65.0 KB
    Name:  15183d1324484347-bumper-modification-2011-12-20-14.46.21.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  67.1 KB

he took two sets of the chrome trim that covers the top of the actual bumper, welded them together, and then mounted them to the bumper area. It doesn't really work as a bumper because it is literally to thin pieces of trim, but I imagine at this point if you smack the front end on one of these cars the car is a writeoff anyway. He used the foglights in the front to cover the old bumper mounts. Without those giant plastic awful battering rams you can really see the XKE jag influence on the XJS.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Needs more low with those XK8 wheels
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Needs more low with those XK8 wheels
    And less sidewall
    \"I don\'t care how muh that lossa cb is a marvel of Japanese Shinto temple inspired design meets mid century streamline design aesthetic, at the end of the day it is still a chick bike.\"
    - <3 Geeto

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    There is only one classic British car a gentleman would consider for a DD.

The Rover P6 V-8.

Name:  Rover P6 Last_of_line.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  1,018.9 KB

Second only to the Rolls-Royce, in the people's hearts.

Danger, is my business."

P.S, : Truth be told, the Rover P6 was the inspiration for the Tingate Racing SR 500! Notice they both have the Cuban cigar profile. Winston's great influence lives on.

Name:  SR TRD Groff.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  144.1 KB
    Rover is Buick 215 engine isn't it!

[QUOTE=Geeto67;319133]I would really like a convertible because if I had a coupe I would likely do something stupid like pay a lot of money to a metal worker to make it a hatch back.

Name:  jaguar-xjs-estate-03.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  8.6 KB

Or go for the smaller but grenade like Lancia HPE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links