I think I have spent too much time around brits.....
Close

This is a discussion on I think I have spent too much time around brits..... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ...because I have become infatuated with jaguars and this has become appealing: 1978 Jaguar XJS , - Cars.com my only disappointment is that it is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I think I have spent too much time around brits.....

...because I have become infatuated with jaguars and this has become appealing:

1978 Jaguar XJS , - Cars.com

Name:  09.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  39.7 KB

my only disappointment is that it is powered by a chebby and not the jaguar inline 6 (yeah you heard me...fuck the v-12, Brit GT cars have inline sixes as god intended).

Actually I am surfing for the cheapest non-money pit 6 cyl XJS I can find right now for no other reason than I am bored and want to suffer the exquisite pain that is a british touring car. I'd buy an XJ6C if I could find one cheap enough.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Do self-respecting Brits even claim XJS's of this era as their own?
    engel likes this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

I`ve been round the Jaguar factory, awesome place.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Do self-respecting Brits even claim XJS's of this era as their own?
    In the 1990s I lived across the street from a Brit family that was living in the US. Real God save the Queen types as well since they had a flagpole flying the union jack at all hours in their front yard. The father drove an XJS v-12 and literally bought a new one every other year in the same slate gray color every time. for some reason he refused to buy an XK8 when they came out. The mom drove a mercedes I think. So I assume the XJS is still considered a brit car, I mean it is no XKE, but it's still pretty handsome.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Don't mean to pollute your jag thread but I always liked the 1990 model Alfa Romeo.

Used to work for Ball Honda in 1990 and carried the AR line. Everytime I got a chance to drive one...enjoyed. Not all that fast but felt like I was driving a European motor car. Different feel.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-03-05-14-15-59.png
Views: 262
Size:  2.89 MB

One day ........

I had a 75 model with a big block 454 in it, sold it in 86 for $5k. Poorly done conversion but had some power.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Don't mean to pollute your jag thread but I always liked the 1990 model Alfa Romeo.

Used to work for Ball Honda in 1990 and carried the AR line. Everytime I got a chance to drive one...enjoyed. Not all that fast but felt like I was driving a European motor car. Different feel.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-03-05-14-15-59.png
Views: 262
Size:  2.89 MB

One day ........
    I knew a girl in high school that had a bright yellow 1991 one. Great car.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I like the v12 XJS. But a turbocharged AJ6 or possibly XJR engine swap seems interesting...
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Whats that saying... Always buy two jaguars so you will have one to drive while the other is in the shop... I have a 1999 Jaguar V8 Vanden plas sitting in the garage with 56,000 miles on it. It seems from 1996 to 2000 first GEN V8 they made a plastic cam chain tensioner that is well known to fail on them. So the brits in 2001 through 2004 came out with an improved plastic tensioner but it did stop the problem. So in 2005 they built a 4.2 liter V8 they got this brilliant idea make the tensioner out of metal that fixed the problem. Good news is the 2005 on up 4.2 liter stuff can be put in all the earlier 4.0 liter V8s. The bad news is i have to tear the engine down find out how much damage i have from exhaust valves that struck the pistons. $3600.00 worth of other mostly electrical fixes in the 56,000 miles warranty took care of. This is one of those cars a rich person buys on a lease then leases a new one every few yrs with the warranty taking care of the problems. Talking to a Jaguar salesman one time he said 75 percent are lease buys. They are nice cars when you can drive them lol.
    Last edited by JM360; 03-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    Weak as wet toilet paper.

1967-CL77, 1975-CL360, 2011-DR650SE

That Brit guy across the street bought a new XJS every two years because he wanted a dependable car.

There must be a reason why so many XJ6, XJ12 and XJSs have the chevy conversion.

On my way back from Maine this last trip I saw a trailer with an XKE 2+2 coupe on it. A later One with the uncovered headlights. While it was cool, it just looked too bulbose and fat in the rear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links