Cafe Racer Forum banner

Bmw build

10K views 58 replies 16 participants last post by  grandpaul 
#1 ·
So I'm new here and I know you guys can be brutal but any criticism is better than none.. so let me have it.

That being said, I'm a poor college kid who loves bikes of all kinds, but especially the old cafes. Someone gave me a barn kept 1972? Bmw r75/5 in pretty good shape. I don't wanna go way to far from stock, but I was wondering if y'all have any build threads or some good modifications that fit these bikes. I know they aren't the best for a cafe build, buts it's what I have and I personally think it's pretty sweet. Just simple stuff like filters and suspension would be more appropriate than a lot of visual things.. I have searched in the build forum and the general forum for anything bmw and i didn't find anything, maybe the search function on tap a talk sucks though. Anyway, any help is appreciated, kinda just want to find a direction to go with it

Also it doesn't have carburetors (was covered so I think the cylinders are still good) and the oem carbs are really expensive, I was looking to get the mikuni kit for it and was wondering if anyone has experience with that.

It's gonna need a lot of little things like throttle and all the lines and stuff like that so if y'all know a good vendor for bmw stuff let me know!

See less See more
#2 ·
Forget clipon bars. Find a later model longer swingarm, a /6 one, I think.
Use the right BMW model OEM parts to build a sporting bike. /75's are very sensitive to tire selection, some brands make model specific ones to suit /75's. Don't try and reinvent the wheel, there are proven mods for these /5's

Danger, is my business."

#7 ·
Also something I'd like to add is i dont have a lot of money for this, but I'd like a quality bikw.. so my plan is to get it up and running with minimum funds and parts.. then slowly add better parts as I gather money.. is that a stupid idea? Should I just save up and get the good stuff?? I definitely want to ride it as soon as possible.. but if I don't have the best safest parts I'll just ride it around the neighborhood to hold me off

#8 ·
Spend money for good stuff where it matters first.
Tires and brakes are more important than anything else.
From there, just buy better stuff as you can. If you can't afford to modify
something right with good parts that will actually improve the bike, don't do that mod yet.
You will be glad you did it right.
That bike is cool as hell, don't make it suck because you bought shitty
parts that weren't as good as stock.

#9 ·
Yeah i gotcha.. I guess I didn't mean I was gonna buy a lot of cheap mods.. basically I was asking what the better brands that fit this bike for things like brakes and the important upgrades. How much should I look to spend on the basics? Also I was wanting to look at a complete build so instead of just tacking on random parts when I can afford I can kind of gather a list of my final build, then fix the bike with minimum amount of parts, then add one at a time from my list for my final build. Does that make sense? I kind of want an end goal so I'm getting the right parts as I go along

#10 ·
Start with tires and brakes, even before getting it running.
That way you won't be tempted to ride on crummy tires.
Ebc brake pads are popular, and you might be able to find a local place to make stainless brake hoses
cheaper than the popular places people are buying race stuff.
I've had good luck with that, anyway.
For vintage bikes, avon roadrider tires come in many of the sizes we use, and they can be had cheap. (Ebay)
They're made in England (not china), and grip the road well, while also lasting for many thousands of miles.
Mikuni carbs are pretty good, and easy to set up and find parts for, but might piss off some bmw purists.
But oh well, you're at least gonna be able to ride and tune your machine, and that's what really matters.
Remember safety is more important than go-fast!

#11 ·
Ahh thanks very much! And yeah I don't care about pissing purists off. I've never understood that.. like yes there are lines you shouldn't cross and i understand wanting a perfectly oem machine, but that's just your opinion, man! Haha like I don't have the money to drop $700 a piece on the carbs when I can buy a pair of mikunis for $400 or less. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys! Keep it coming if you can

#14 ·
I'm a purist and I like to modify.......done correctly. Nothing looks dumber than out of place items, not in time items and the like....in my opinion. How is the bike? Complete POS? Together and all there in its original form? Already modified? Regards of condition......just get it up, running, stopping, starting, shifting, lighting, etc. Then ride, learn the machine then tinker.

If money is at issue, then regardless of the purist thoughts just do what you can to make it safe and functional. Boxercafe.com has some stuff but there are others. Good luck in your endeavors.

#16 ·
It's actually in decent condition and I'm considering getting it up and running and polished up and selling to get something a little cheaper so I money to buy parts. Cause these bmws can be worth a bit.. but I have a feeling I won't wanna let her go once she's running

#19 · (Edited)
I'm all for pissin' purists. But these bikes are the ones you build to have and ride for twenty years. The problem with Airhead purists, is they know their stuff.

If your idea of a Café Racer /5 is a tiny seat, clip-ons and some kind on dolphin fairing, there are probably better platforms to start with. It won't be very fast, it won't be very functional and it won't be very pleasurable.

Personally, I wouldn't polish or paint any old BMW parts. Unless they are rotten or rusted to the max. Patina please.

You fit the longer swingarm and drive shaft, for better stability and handling. Like BMW did in later models.

Nothing much wrong with fitting Mikunis and K&N's. Get some prejetted from a proven supplier, you ain't jetting them yourself jack. Don't buy Chinese junk Mikuni copies. Forget open velocity stacks, that's tripping.

Get a good 75/5 manual before you lift a spanner.

If the bike has sat that long, you need to take the heads off and take the valves out and check everything for rust and/or carbon. You really need to check the cylinder bores for rust or batshit.

Photos please.

WELCOME TO THE WEIRD WORLD OF BMW SPECIFIC TOOLS

Danger, is my business."

P.S. : A graphic lesson on how not to modify an old Airhead. :

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Car

#20 ·
Don't worry about the long swingarm unless you can also get the longer rear subframe and seat to match it. The only big benefit was to give you a bigger battery that wouldn't be drained as quickly by the starter. Not as big a problem now with good battery's availible like the Westco

#23 ·
Lol i won't be able to post pictures until this weekend. The bike is at home in houston and I'm at school in college station.. I'm planning on doin some work this spring break. And your picture is broken but the tank is black and has a little dent in it

#24 ·
Also, just saying, y'all need to quit ASSUMING I want to put on clip ons and random visual things. I mainly want performance upgrades unless I find some visual upgrade that I love. Also, thanks for all of y'alls input. So I'm confused now, should I or should I not get the longer swing arm and shaft? How much would that cost? I have heard that these can be a little unstable because of the shorter wheel base so that may be something I wanna do soon.. maybe not one of my first upgrades, but like the second or something..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.