Alloy shouldered rims
Close

Alloy shouldered rims

This is a discussion on Alloy shouldered rims within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm looking for a pair of alloy shouldered rims. Maybe it's not fair, but I'm assuming the Chinese ones are shit and will require way ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Alloy shouldered rims

Alloy shouldered rims

I'm looking for a pair of alloy shouldered rims. Maybe it's not fair, but I'm assuming the Chinese ones are shit and will require way too much torque on the spokes to get them to run true. Is my assumption accurate? Anybody out there laced one up lately? If they are shit, what's the best place to buy a pair of decent ones without getting bent over?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I have absolutely no reservations simply sending my hubs to Buchanan's and specifying the chassis they are being mounted to. They will arrive perfectly laced, trued, and offset exactly for the stated chassis arrangement.
    busapilot likes this.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

In my experience, Akront and Borrani both had huge jogs at the butt weld and that made them harder to true than OEM Japanese rims. DID alloy rims are far better on TZs and their aftermarket rims.

I have no experience with Chinese rims but I see no reason to expect them to be crap. It comes down to a leap of faith/Gamble. Do you believe they are OK and are you willing to test that theory? I don't need any but I'd have no hesitation trying rims from Mike's XS to lace up with replated spokes or new spokes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. Had a look at Mike's XS and it doesn't look like he has any 40 spoke rims or offers options for drilling. Obviously at those prices they are Chinese. I get your point about giving them a try though. Sending everything off to Buchanan's would be like nirvana, but I come from Scottish stock and would prefer to dust off the vintage Hozan. I even have a special Japanese air driver stashed somewhere for running the spoke nipples up and I need the practice anyway.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    bought a pair of the chinese ones ,if i remember, i think they where in the 100-130 range. they trued up ok. where for the most part round/ free of "flat spots". the area where it was welded was the only problem area. sort of "indented". did a couple of races on them if that means anything. but to answer your question- dont get them. pay the extra $. maybe look for a used set of the ones teazer men..
    I don't think buying used will be easy. I need one for a Commando front drum and one for a Triumph rear conical hub. I more or less expect some sort of small hiccup at the weld, so that wouldn't necessarily be a show stopper.
    Kind of wondering why... if they worked ok for you, why you'd say don't buy them. Is that derived from the general quality issues with Chinese products or you'd feel bad if I ended up with dung on my hands?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Can't comment on the Chinese ones, but these Morad rims were excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

I have DID, Akront and one Borrani rim here allocated to projects and if/when I have to buy new rims, I'll probably buy Chinese. Didn't I read somewhere that MORAD rims were made in China and were stamped "Spain"? Where teh heck did I read that?

Buchanan's sells Sun & Excel, both pretty reasonable.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

If its a cost thing then I would go with the Chinese ones. I've never been the one to poo poo something simply because they came from China. Remember everyone thought something from Japan was crap not that long ago. I have family that works/consults in China and not everything is 99 cents store quality. Our prospective is different here but there........whole different arena.

Heck my wife's Gucci bags all come from China and that's just cow skin........cheap my ass.

Yes, was checking out Buchanan's earlier and they don't currently have the size in Borrani that I need, so looked at Excel (made in Japan). Just trying to find out if they have a big Excel stamped into the shoulder. Maybe I sound fussy, but I would prefer something that doesn't have big company logos front and center.

I contacted one of the outfits that sells Chinese rims and politely asked him about quality and run out. This is the response I got back:

"they are fairly good radially but usually the width is slightly narrower at the buttweld. For peace of mind It might be better if you purchased a rim from someone like Buchanans".

Not sure if he's being honest or I pissed him off by asking.....
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links