z1 900 exhaust rechrome
Close

z1 900 exhaust rechrome

This is a discussion on z1 900 exhaust rechrome within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a set of original Z1 900 exhaust that have been hanging in the shed for 40 years. Is there any where that I ...

z1 900 exhaust rechrome

I have a set of original Z1 900 exhaust that have been hanging in the shed for 40 years. Is there any where that I can have them restored. The local chrome shop in Austin told me the inside of the mufflers would contaminate the tanks so they will not touch them. There must be a way to get them restored. Has anyone had this done?

The chromers are right. Only a mob that is prepared to contaminate their tanks would do the job. That idea hardly fills me with confidence in any thing else they may do.

- Like chroming pipes right.

Personally I'd chrome strip them and VHT black paint them or some ceramic coating. Like the early US racing superbikes with four pipes.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by Jruff5585 View Post
    I have a set of original Z1 900 exhaust that have been hanging in the shed for 40 years. Is there any where that I can have them restored. The local chrome shop in Austin told me the inside of the mufflers would contaminate the tanks so they will not touch them. There must be a way to get them restored. Has anyone had this done?
    Same thing happened to me with an old Bultaco exhaust..........they wouldn't do it because of the inside. I went back and cleaned them with gas then a heavy degreaser. It was messy and it took me a while to do. I then took back and they did kinda reluctantly chromed it..........probably cause I take so much stuff there t o do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Mirror finish powdercoat.
    www.slipstreamcycle.com

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rod10 View Post
    Mirror finish powdercoat.
    There is no Mirror finish powder that is close to chrome look. It gets close without clear but has to be cleared to prevent corrosion of the powder, it loses about 20% of it's pop when cleared. Plus standard Mirror Powder won't hold up long on exhaust pipes. If rechrome is out of the question JetHot ceramic is the closest you're going to get to chrome. If you think chrome is expensive now wait till next year when the new EPA regulations on venting the chemical tanks goes into effect and half the chromers out there will be closing doors due to the costs of the upgrades.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Thanks, it looks like I will modify the baffles and jet coat them then use them on my road racer project instead of the Kerker

Sponsored Links