Road Trip on a Naked Bike - Page 2
Close

Road Trip on a Naked Bike

This is a discussion on Road Trip on a Naked Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I ALWAYS wear ear plugs for the wind noise, otherwise I'm deaf after a days ride....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Road Trip on a Naked Bike

I ALWAYS wear ear plugs for the wind noise, otherwise I'm deaf after a days ride.
    "Paint it Black until they invent something darker"

Yup always earplugs. I even wear them when racing.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I've used mainly Arai helmets and they are much better for wind/road noise with the small ear pads you can get for them.....not ear plugs. Even when my hearing was better it just never bothered me that much. I used earplugs in the past and never liked using them.

But here's the deal with our sport............ with the Guzzi your riding you are going to suffer wind buffering even if you put a sliding glass door as a fairing. It is inherent to the bike and there is some things you can do to improve it but with your style of bike but it is limited. That is the trade off the Guzzi is for longer trips. I've surrendered to a Goldwing for longer trips for that reason. When you take a bike, not intended for longer trips on longer trips you will be tired, beat up ed, your head will be ringing and your trips will lose all their appeal for enjoyment.

I would suggest a large windshield that is easily installed/removed just for special trips. I am not promoting Arai helmets but I've used all kinds and I found they are hands down the most comfortable for long rides and noise protection. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kerosene View Post
    -plugs imo are a must for full day riding. I don't see it compromising the ability of sensing the surroundings
    -I used a ghetto setup cheap fairing on the DR on my crosscountry trip. I did stretches of 80 and didn't think much about the fairing ever. Which means it worked pretty well.

Attachment 13420

this
    was some super generic (think o-rileys / autozone) fairing trimmed from bottom to kinda fit the DR
    I can say that on my 93 DR many years ago I installed a small windshield that made everything worse. It was made for the 92/95 DR650 but for me it only pushed more wind up and back under my helmet. I used it for about 100 miles then ripped it off only leaving the mounts and threw it in the trash at an AM/PM store. I'm not that tall (6ft) but it was horrible. In that case....leaving it stock was ideal. Just my remembering thoughts.

i used to find any bmw with an adj screen was better for me with the screen down. on the fixed screen k100rt/lt shitboxes the tall screen would beat shit out of my head. if i hunched my head down a couple of inches, silence. but way too uncomfortable.

also the gap between shoulders and helmet bottom edge i find makes a huge difference to noise. the neck sock thingy i wear in winter on its own drops the sound massively. and a thicker winter jacket is better than a summer jacket.

Regardless of bike, you need a quality full - face helmet. I prefer middle of the range, and up, Arai's. You get what you pay for, in comfort and quietness, not even taking into account of their proven crashworthiness. Shoei's are pretty good too. If you have a pinhead, you might need an Agv, for a good fit.

The flip - type front helmets are pretty useful in touring and day to day riding. I got a good one for free, and it's great for city riding.

Danger, is my business."

Hanging your helmet on the mirror is a great way to potentially damage the structural integrity of the styrofoam inside your helmet.
    Alot of times a front fairing or screen can be the cause of buffeting at certain speeds. Experiment with different length( height) windscreens.
    latered

I rode my 1100F up from long island yesterday.
    WOW it got cold.

Was a windy day and at 80mph my neck was uncomfortable. I do need a new helmet though.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    Hanging your helmet on the mirror is a great way to potentially damage the structural integrity of the styrofoam inside your helmet.
    Alot of times a front fairing or screen can be the cause of buffeting at certain speeds. Experiment with different length( height) windscreens.
    Yeah, i think I'll need to borrow a few used ones to pick one that works.
    As for the helmet, I never knew that could damage it? I've been doing that since I was 16.
    I'll be getting bar end mirrors soon so it won't be an option for long anyway.
    Thanks for the input! I'm going to try riding without the little bikini fairing tomorrow if it doesn't rain, and see if it does any better or different.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

200 miles is really a pretty short trip - but not bad for wringing out potential problems for longer trips. Helmet noise and buffing from wind would be greatly reduced with a better helmet. I'd recommend an Aria helmet but they are extremely expensive. I have several different leather riding jackets, some seem to cut the wind better that others. My best jacket for cutting the wind seems to be my old fashion buffalo type leather jacket. I think it has something to do with the fold back leather collars on the front of the jacket but who knows...

Adding a better windscreen in the long run may be your best option. I'm on the fence about wearing ear protection as I like to hear what's around me. Certainly wearing a decent helmet really does cut much of the wind noise down.

BTW - bar mirrors are the only way to go...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links