Road Trip on a Naked Bike - Page 3
Close

Road Trip on a Naked Bike

This is a discussion on Road Trip on a Naked Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Yeah, it was 430 total over 2 days just as a shake down for a bike that I haven't had long. Later this summer I'm ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Road Trip on a Naked Bike

Yeah, it was 430 total over 2 days just as a shake down for a bike that I haven't had long.
    Later this summer I'm planning to go to glacier national park on my way to visit my cousin in Boulder, CO, so I'm trying to iron this crap out before I go. The original plan was to do it on B roads on my cb350, but I decided that was a bad idea and bought
    a newer, slightly bigger bike. I guess I'll try a few different windscreens, and try to save up for a better helmet.
    My buddy wants to sell me a good looking HJC helmet that he only wore twice, so I'll see if he'll let me test ride with it to
    See if it's any quieter and or more aerodynamic.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    Yeah, it was 430 total over 2 days just as a shake down for a bike that I haven't had long.
    Later this summer I'm planning to go to glacier national park on my way to visit my cousin in Boulder, CO, so I'm trying to iron this crap out before I go. The original plan was to do it on B roads on my cb350, but I decided that was a bad idea and bought
    a newer, slightly bigger bike. I guess I'll try a few different windscreens, and try to save up for a better helmet.
    My buddy wants to sell me a good looking HJC helmet that he only wore twice, so I'll see if he'll let me test ride with it to
    See if it's any quieter and or more aerodynamic.
    Forget HJC's: they are junk. The lining falls out. You get what you pay for.

Danger, is my business.'

If you weren't wearing a full face helmet then the HJC would be better. I know an Arai helmet is costly but you would probably never go back to anything else once you used one. A good Shoei is a little less.....a GOOD one.......... that might be another option. I learned a long time ago NEVER go cheap for a helmet unless you have to. That makes all the difference in your motorcycling experience.

The helmet I've been wearing wasn't exactly cheap, but I didn't really know any better at the time. The helmet i had before was a full face helmet, but was only $40, and whistled going down the road.
    I got tired of that really fast, and spent something like $230 on the current helmet, and it is much better as far as noise than the first one. I've now had this helmet of 4 years or so, although I got out of motorcycles for a year or 2 and didn't wear it. I have found some Arai helmets for under $300 on ebay new, so I'lll probably get one of those, I just want to hold out for a plain white or silver one. The ones with all the graphics look dumb to me unless I'm on some crotch rocket with a similarly ridiculous paint scheme.

I had a HJC something or other full face before I got my new Shark. It was fine. It had a removable lining so you could wash it (nice in our heat) and was all-round pretty good. In fact it's better than the Shark in the rain as the rear sticks out a tad more - the Shark lets a dribble of water go down the back of my neck.

I guess as far as a helmet goes, I'll do some research and read some reviews.
    Hillsy, I found some very reasonably-priced shark helmets available online.
    Would you recommend their full face helmet to someone who may only do one
    or two track days a year, but rides a motorcycle usually a couple hundred miles
    each week?
    When it comes to the HJC, the price and condition are right, I just need to do a test ride.
    For the price, if it's quieter than my current helmet, and it lasts a year, I will consider it a good purchase.

My understanding is the 'cheaper' Arai helmets on Ebay are knock-offs and do not meet USA road standards. I could be way off base but as always Buyer beware.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I don't know if the tank clearance would allow it, but slightly lower bars would get you hunched down a little, out of the wind blast and windstream. I'm only talking 1 1/2 or 2 inches, max.

Buying cheap helmets online is full of risk, one, being fakes, two, strange models with visors that are either mega dollars or unobtainable. Also you need to try a hat on in person for a good fit.

Buying cheap helmets is like saving health care costs by going to your second cousin the veterinarian.

Only buy helmets from the official importer.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by bmartin View Post
    My understanding is the 'cheaper' Arai helmets on Ebay are knock-offs and do not meet USA road standards. I could be way off base but as always Buyer beware.
    I never knew they were making cheap knock-offs of an Arai helmet. That kinda explains why those carbon fiber ones were not that expensive.

I wouldn't generally buy helmets online. At least go and get a test fit in a real store. The priciest arai isn't worth the premium if it doesn't fit your head shape.
    I bought a chinese made AFX dual sport helmet for dirt cheap. They get great reviews constantly and pass the ECE (some number) safety test (actual test unlike DOT). Its a dual sport helmet so its noisy, also its probably larger (thicker) than it would be if premium brand. That being said the build quality was great and it fit me pretty good.

The chinese stuff has come a long ways, it just varies so damn much that you really need to do your research.
    AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Hi-Viz Helmet - RevZilla
    -

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links