Road Trip on a Naked Bike
Close

This is a discussion on Road Trip on a Naked Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I rode my new Moto Guzzi breva 750 from Nashville, Tn to Memphis today, just 200 miles at ~80 mph, and it did just fine. ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Road Trip on a Naked Bike

I rode my new Moto Guzzi breva 750 from Nashville, Tn to Memphis today, just 200 miles at ~80 mph, and it did just fine. My only
    complaint is my head buffeting in the wind, and the wind noise. I want to get a taller windshield, but what else can I do to
    help with fatigue from higher speeds for an extended period of time? I stopped at 150 miles for fuel and food, but when I go to Colorado this summer I'd like to be able to keep these stops to a minimum.
    Aside from Witworth, do any of you guys recommend earplugs on the interstate? The bike itself is super quiet with the stock mufflers, so that noise isn't really part of the equation.
    Thanks!
    And if you think I'm retarded, just say that and don't waste a lot of time trying to insult me. This is the only bike forum I'm on anymore, and it's because you guys seem to have experience in more than just racing. But I don't race, I just ride these days, often to go work corners at a track to help keep racers safe, though.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

What kind of helmet do you wear? I'd be curious about the effect one of them fancy aerodynamic ones would have
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Post a photo of your fairing, even better with you sitting on it. And a pic of your helmet.

Wind noise on a motorcycle is often louder than even a loud exhaust at highway speeds. Hence earplug advice.

Danger, is my business."

I used to wear ear plugs in the early 90's. They worked really well at motorway speeds, but I hated them in town.
    Helmets can make a huge difference.
    I would have thought a screen similar to this would help a bit with the buffeting
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

I'll up take a couple of pictures this afternoon and post them.
    The windshield on my bike is the small one it came with, and the only helmet I have now is
    my GMAX race helmet that seems aerodynamic, other than some kind of blocky shaped vents on top.
    Steveo, is that your guzzi? It looks good! I haven't been able to find a windshield like that locally yet, but I know
    they can be had online. I really believe that would solve any complaints I have. Does anyone have a link for
    where to get a good quality one at a good price?
    Does a windshield like that hurt fuel economy or cruising speed any?
    answers bring out a few more questions, but I'm here to learn. I've had mostly naked bikes over the last decade,
    but I must be getting old because I'm just now getting to the point where the wind is annoying haha.
    One thing I have noticed about my helmet is that it takes wind a lot better in a hunched down crotch rocket position than
    in the somewhat upright position this bike has. I have mostly ridden my R1 with this helmet, which had me in the head down, ass up state so wind wasn't really an issue under 160 mph or so...

Ear plugs dampen out wind noise which is the loudest thing you hear on a bike when moving. I recommend them all the time.
    kerosene likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Here's the only picture I have of the bike handy, but I'll take more when the whole family easter ordeal is over.
    I guess I will try some earplugs, I've just been afraid I'd miss the sound of a car trying to run me over. Thanks guys.
    I haven't yet found a deal on a windshield specifically for this bike, most of those are either universal or $300 or both.

"I've just been afraid I'd miss the sound of a car trying to run me over."

I'm a clean kill fan. I don't want to hear the car of slam.

Try taking off the mini screen and go ride at the same highway speed for a while to see if the turbulence is caused by it. It also might move the buffeting point to your chest, instead of your head.

Danger, is my business."
    thechief86 likes this.

-plugs imo are a must for full day riding. I don't see it compromising the ability of sensing the surroundings
    -I used a ghetto setup cheap fairing on the DR on my crosscountry trip. I did stretches of 80 and didn't think much about the fairing ever. Which means it worked pretty well.

Name:  IMG_0469-800.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  115.7 KB

this
    was some super generic (think o-rileys / autozone) fairing trimmed from bottom to kinda fit the DR
    Last edited by kerosene; 04-05-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    thechief86 likes this.
    -

Here's my helmet. It's about time for a new one (pads are getting raggy) but for now it's not bad.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links