The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 148
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I made a sanding area/spray booth for small stuff from an old range hood that did the trick as well. If you get one with ...

Page 148 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1628
Like Tree606Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

I made a sanding area/spray booth for small stuff from an old range hood that did the trick as well. If you get one with a light in it, all the better. Just build a little booth under it. Use some flex vent from a cloths drier out the window or into a 5 gallon pail with a couple furnace filters over the top. Got the idea when I used to airbrush lexan slot car bodies.
    Cyorg likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

I know I really need to do something like that. There is a closed in area under my deck that only shares one (formally exterior) wall where I keep the solvent tank, but it's not heated, so I'd have to figure out an explosion proof source of heat. Also thought about using a marine bilge blower because they are explosion proof and relatively cheap. They also come in 115V. My biggest problem is I hate sending stuff out... and I hate to pay the going rate, although it might be cheaper in the long run with the amount of filler, primer, and paint that I turn into dust trying to fair the surface of whatever I'm attempting to work on.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Playing in Vintage Autocad 2000 getting a refresher while drafting a Tenor Ukelele.

Attachment 79698

A soprano I built some time ago.

Attachment 79706
    jcw, BigAl8295 and Farmer_John like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

And I continue on today. A break and do details.

Attachment 79721

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    That's a nice deal, but Harbor Freight products can be a hit or miss proposition.

If you can swing a little more, Everlast welders are some solid welders that will outperform the operator in most cases. Super stable low end is especially what you are looking for and some models get down to 2amps. They'll weld razor blades if you want.

A guy that welded for a living had one of these smaller Everlast at home and told me there's no need to spend $3K for a Blue or Red welder. If you're only welding steel, a DC only will do. If you only plan on welding motorcycle frame/bracket stuff at less than 1/8" wall thickness, the 160 amp models will probably be fine. But the more stable at the lower end is important. I'm welding at 75-90 amps on the thin 0.065" tubing of my Yamaha.

Everlast welders is one of the main distributors websites and amazon sells them, too. I can't be more happy with my iTig200T. HF starts, pulse, programmable everything, DC only.

When I upgrade to AC for aluminum. I'll likely go with an HTP brand. It's an Italian brand, I think. USAweld sells them.
    Have you changed your thoughts at all about what your next tig will be? I have a bunch of aluminum welding slated for this winter and paying someone else to do it, would be close to the cost of a half decent machine. I have a gun for my MIG that is set up for aluminum on a 10' cable (not a spool gun), but have never tried it and it would be too messy for some of the stuff I have to do. Time to pull the trigger on a TIG. What model would you buy? I used to do stick and mig for a living before I finally came to my senses. I took a course back in the old country on oxy acetylene. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I think the oxy acetylene experience will help bump me up the learning curve for the tig.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I picked up an ThermalArc Arcmaster 185 on a closeout deal some time back, great welder made in Japan.

Now I might look at the ESAB 186 or for quite a bit less say under $700 with 3 year waranty an Eastwood, although the Harbor Freight stuff looks to be interesting. On the HF stuff and Eastwood I might see what is said about them at welding web that is with the consideration of the equipment snobbery.

HTP's are well respected.

HF and Eastwood will never be repaired where name brand welders could possible be repaired if issues arrise but may be to costly to have repaired. HF and Eastwood I believe will swap them out for warranty periods. I heard HF has a return for any reason policy "I don't like this welder!" for the first year

jcw
    Even more quality machines are coming out of china right now.

But if I do pull the trigger, I think Ill still go HTP.

BTW, their yearly black friday sale has started. $200 off the price of their 221. Price depends on air or water cooled torch and whether you want the dual voltage option to weld small stuff using 110v.

Oxywelding definitely helps. But if you oxyweld shitty, you can still get metal at least steel to fuse, tig welding especially aluminum is less tolerant of slop (shaky hands, inconsistent arc length, heat input)

If you find that you just cant do it, lightly used AC tigs usualy resell pretty well.
    Last edited by jcw; 10-30-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Cyorg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post

But if I do pull the trigger, I think Ill still go HTP.

Cant beat that they are local to you if any issues occur.

A bunch of the stuff I have to weld is 3/16 aluminum. I talked to a guy at the local machine shop today and he said even the blue and red machines that are rated for 3/16 , like a Miller 180 can do it, but it's really pushing it. I have a habit of buying stuff that is just good enough and then regretting I didn't spend a little more money. I'm north of the 49th, so not sure about dealing with the border. I've bought stuff from Eastwood before, but not HF. Being able to get someone locally to fix it if necessary kind of narrows the options to Miller or Lincoln. Seems like they all come TIG/MIG/STICK combined. I already have a good MIG, so don't give a rats ass about that. Stick would be ok, just because I like it and it's been a while. Don't think I'm ready for the Chinese stuff. I know some of there stuff is ok and getting better, but I haven't had much luck with it. Who knows... have to figure it out soon.

Can't seem to find anyone who sells HTP this side of the border.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 10-31-2017 at 08:06 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Have you looked at lincoln this talk got me to look at my welding shop adds anf they have a 200 amp ac/dc unit for $1500.

Got my thermal arc from these guys. Link goes to Lincoln

https://www.bakersgas.com/LINK5126-1...IaArvaEALw_wcB
    Cyorg likes this.

Sponsored Links